Chapter 2: Ice

Minerva McGonagall sat in the staff table, occupying the throne-like chair at the center. As part of the tradition, the Start-of-Term Feast was held and her eyes, for lack of any interesting view to see but for Hagrid's new lizard pet gobbling down the contents of his plate, swept through the house tables.

She saw them on her farthest left, Hogwarts' golden trio. With the reputation they earned during the war, she was confident Kingsley would automatically grant them the Auror position. And yet here they are. She smiled inwardly, knowing full well why. Potter and Weasley would take advantage of skipping the steps to become an Auror. But not her, not Hermione Granger. She would insist that they go through the same process as everyone.

A tap on her shoulder. "Headmistress."

"Professor Flitwick."

Hermione watched as the Charms Master leaned closer to Professor McGonagall, whispering. The headmistress's face was placid, but she knew her well enough to tell that she was not pleased.

"You remember that news from the paper last week?" Harry said. She was surprised to find out that he was watching them too.

"The one about the large group of werewolves sighting in Great Britain?"

"Don't you find it odd—suspicious even?"

Hermione, her spoon mid-air, looked at him.

"I tried to ask Kingsley about that before we left."

"And?"

"He told me not to bother with it yet and that it was confidential case until they were sure of what it really is." Harry looked sullen.

She narrowed her eyes. "Don't tell me you did something completely opposite of what you were told."

"I did not."

"So you threw on your invisibility cloak to sneak in the Auror department's office and went through the files of whoever's in charge of the case." Hermione said, speaking very fast.

"Kingsley said 'yet'."

"And in your head, it translated to go ahead and find it out yourself?"

Harry sneered as though he was not being reprimanded by her.

"Kingsley has no idea what he's getting himself into, having someone like you marauding around the Ministry at night without being seen."

"Someone like me?" He feigned being offended.

"Hey, give him a break." Ron interjected, mouth filled to the brim. "He's the boy who lived—twice."

Hermione huffed and shook her head. "What did you find out?"

"Well, they mentioned Greyback in the report and a few names that have been suspected of being a werewolf before."

Hermione was listening intently, though her eyes wandered off the opposite side of the hall. Just like in the train platform, his blond hair stood up among the rest. He sat despondently with his face in his hand. He looked well, a bit of weight loss and bags under his eyes, but other than that he looked like he recovered from his year of imprisonment in Azkaban.

The funny thing is, Hermione thought, she had seen this before. This image of him sitting right there. Not during their school years, but after that. He had been there on that same spot with his parents after Voldemort's defeat. Looking uncertain of their place in the victory.

He suddenly raised his face and Hermione met his sharp cruel gaze. She turned away abruptly, clearly shaken. She picked up her spoon and took a bite, chewing thoughtfully, aware of the keenest glance coming from the Slytherin's table.

The Invisible Warsजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें