Chapter 52- The Big Bang

Start from the beginning

I poured coffee equally into the two mugs- putting my mug in the freezer to cool down- and then placed the sugar and cream off to the side for Adam to pour himself. Expecting SJ to run into the kitchen at any moment now looking for a snack, I was greeted, surprisingly, with heavy footsteps walking into the kitchen. Ones clearly not belonging to SJ. "Why is he alone with the baby?" JC whispered loudly to me, and too close to my proximity.

"Because I'm warming up Colton's food and making some coffee for Adam too. It's not like I went across town and left him here alone. I'm just a few yard away." I explained to him, shaking my head at his nonsense, and backing up a few steps so we weren't toe to toe. I grabbed the baby food and tested the temperature of it on my wrist to make sure it wasn't too hot. "Hello, by the way." I mention with a humorous smirk.

JC, no dubitably, was going to continue shun me that is until Adam walked into the room holding Colton. My heart melted at the sight of how adorable they look together. I'm going to be that teenage girl for a second and say isn't it hot when guys hold or play with babies!? Can't contain myself in the inside, honestly. "Didn't know if you wanted him in the kitchen when you feed him. Plus, I don't think he was enjoying the floor anymore. It looked like he was about to start whining." Adam says, a slight smile creeping on his face as he bounced the baby slightly in his arms.

"Aww, monkey." I cooed, pouting at Colton. "Are you hungry?" I spoke, as if Colton could talk to me. At the sound of my voice he turned his head looking for me, scrunching up his face and pouting his lower lip as if he were going to cry. "You're okay. You don't need to cry." I told him, shaking my head as I grabbed two spoons mixing everything in front of me.

"Shh, no, no. It's okay. No crying. Daddy's got you." JC assured him, quickly walking across the room and stealing Colton out of Adam's arms. "Daddy's going to feed you. Are you hungry? Is that why you're cranky?" JC cooed as well, getting that from me. He would have never spoke like this until he was forced to hearing that from me every day. JC sounded like he was trying to make a point though. I only glared at him at how silly he was being.

"Here's your coffee Adam." I smile, pushing it across the counter to him. "Cream and sugar." I pointed to, "You can sit right here if you want. Here some cookies too if you want." I offer, sliding the cookies to him as well.

"Thanks Paisley." He grins, sitting on an island chair. JC hovers behind me, grabbing the baby food the second I put the rubber spoon in it. "You were right. He's so calm and quiet to play with. He just smiles and looks at his toy totally mesmerized. You got pretty lucky, I'm not the baby expert but usually babies aren't like that."

"Yeah, I really am." I say smiling at Colton.

"I'm sorry to do this to you but do you happen to have a to-go cup? I actually couldn't stay long I have errands to run. People to visit." He ask, meekly and shyly. A side of Adam I never saw.

Disappointment and curiosity must have been clear on my face but I tried my best to mask it. "Yeah we do. I'm sorry you couldn't stay longer. Maybe next time you should come over later when I put Colton down for a nap. We can watch a movie or something." I suggest, carefully pouring the full mug of hot chocolate into the recyclable to-go foam cup.

"That sounds like a great idea. I'll bring the movie." He offers, grabbing the cup when I hand it to him.

"Sounds even better." I grin, "I'll walk you out." I say, walking him to the front door, "I'll see you soon." All while opening the door.

"See you soon. Again, sorry I couldn't stick around any longer." He frowns slightly, kissing my cheek before crossing the threshold.

My cheeks turned heated even with the cold winter breeze passing when I opened the door, "I understand more than you think." I hinted, knowing that he's probably truly leaving because JC showed up, not because he has errands. "Are you going to visit Lizzy though?" I question, wondering where he was on his problems. I hoped one day he did work up the courage to talk to her.