Chapter 52- The Big Bang

Whoa Baby

Chapter 52- The Big Bang

"Life is too short to wake up with regrets. So love the people who treat you right. Forget about those who don't. Believe everything happens for a reason. If you get a chance, take it. If it changes your life, let it. Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would most likely be worth it." – Harvey MacKay

It was about four days since the court date for Jim; and exactly four days since JC disappeared. Well, not disappeared completely, but he hadn't shown up at the house after leaving the next morning, nor had he texted or called. I had to visit him at his house yesterday just to make sure he was ok. If it were any other time before the trial I wouldn't have given it a second thought. It wasn't uncommon that JC didn't show up a couple of days in a row, but since the court day with his father I was a little more worried. I needed to make sure he was ok.

When I saw him yesterday he wasn't very chatty. Spaced out, but he was able to pull a grin here and there when I would ask if he were alright or would want to talk about anything. Since JC hasn't been around the last four days, sleep was minimum. JC always knew that I didn't get much sleep at night, waking up to feed Colton and sleeping at odd hours, in other words: every few days I'd catch up on some sleep when JC was around or staying the night. I can't believe I'm admitting his too, but I kind of miss JC. His company, his presence, his smart mouth comments, and being an extra helping hand.

So, for the moment, I had a temporary replacement. Adam was over. It was great, since he kept me company and also became a new form of entertainment for Colton, but it wasn't exactly like JC. Which, for one reason was a good thing, we didn't bicker like JC and I do. Not so bad if you ask me.

"Found it!" I smile, stepping over some other toys in the living room floor. For a four month old baby he sure had a lot of toys. I don't know who has more, Colton or SJ? "It's his favorite toy. It hypnotizes him." I chuckle, handing it to Adam laying on his side next to Colton in his bouncer.

"This thing?" Adam questions, taking it from my hand and turning it all different ways. "It doesn't even light up or make noise." He observes.

"That's the secret beauty of it." I joke, "Colt's a quiet baby he doesn't really like loud voices or noises. He's very calm." I describe, admiring him. "Wonder where he gets it from?" I mumble mostly to myself. No way had he gotten it from me and certainly not JC. "Do you want a snack or something to drink? I can make anything you'd like." I offer.

"Hm, anything?" He questions entirely amused. "Coffee?"

"Sure thing. I'll be right back. I got to give Colton some lunch too. Would you mind just playing with him for a bit?" I ask. I nervously twiddled my fingers, hating the feeling or even asking for someone to watch over my baby. Even if I was just a few yards away.

"Of course!" He replies happily. I nod my head once, grinning and walking to the kitchen taking deep and calming breaths.

I grab two mugs from the cabinets, setting them on the counter, and then prepared the coffee pot. Waiting for that to brew I looked through the fridge seeing if there was any food already puréed for Colton. He isn't too picky when it comes to pears now, but today I'm trying sweet potato.

As I placed some puréed sweet potato in the microwave for Colton I placed some sugar cookies on a plate neatly to offer to Adam. I heard the front door open faintly from the kitchen. When I looked over my shoulder for the hour it was just about time that SJ should be arriving from school.