Fairytales - A Tangled Rapunzel x Eugene Oneshot

It had been hours she had been staring at her reflection in the full-length mirror, standing still in front of it, frozen. Her expression blank, her gaze devoid of any kind of readable emotion a living human being usually posseses, she remained there, motionless, no sign of life emanating from her body.

(There was still something bothering her deep inside that she tried to hide away from others.)

They wouldn't understand, anyway.

Lies.

She couldn't count all the time she had attempted to convince herself she couldn't be happier with him, that her marriage was perfectly fine, and that her couple wasn't going straight into a wall.

Can you believe words spoken by somebody who doesn't even believe what he says himself ?

By the time she - at last - decided to move and to prove to whoever was staring at her from above that she was indeed still alive, the glowing sun was long gone, the silver moon up in the deep sky to replace it, with the stars shining all around and keeping watchful eyes upon the peaceful realm of Corona.

And Eugene hadn't come back yet.

What had she thought ? Had she truly been dumb enough to believe things would change that easily ? Had she really believed she would finally get her happy ending, that she would finally live happily ever after ? Things aren't that simple. Oh, if only they were...

Foolishness.

It only occurs in fairytales you read to your children in a futile attempt to make life appear blissful to their eyes, to allow them to think for the short time that childhood represents that life isn't this bad. Fairytales people tend to forget that last hardly two or three hundreds pages when they dream of having their lives looking like their favorite characters'. Fairytales you use to make younger people believe the words you don't believe in anymore, because, honestly, that's the least you can do for them. Words they end up not believing in either anyway. 

Still they'll most likely be doing the exact same thing to their own children when the time comes. They'll be sending dreams to people before life gets the chance to rip it away from you and let you crawling in its proven cruelty.

And, as much as she wished it would, a ring around her finger couldn't erase the past to let her move forward to her happy ending. Joyful or painful as it may be, the past always remains.

Eighteen years had been wasted without she even noticed it, without anyone to notice it.

(And Eugene hadn't come back yet.)

All she had learned from her reflection that - like any other day she stared at herself like this - was that it displayed a woman - no longer a young girl - who looked utterly exhausted from the sleepless nights she and her husband had desperately spent awake trying to conceive a baby.

The baby Eugene thought that could save them.