Camp Hell Hole

The bus came to take me to camp early in the morning. I had packed three suitcases full of everything I needed: clothes, snacks, water, chocolate, my laptop, movies, lots and lots of books, sunscreen, a couple pairs of working gloves, and anything I could ever need during the next year and a half.

My brother was squashed under the weight of all my packing when I made him drag my stuff to the bus. My big brother Danny was a sweetheart, and I knew he didn't mind.

I had slipped on some shorts, Vans, and a red tank top before sprinting down the stairs at the last minute to catch a ride to camp. I gave my dad a hug and my brother a quick peck on the cheek just before running out the door.

I climbed up on the bus and took a seat. The police officer handcuffed my left hand to the seat and went back to sulking in the front of the bus. I had no problem with silence. Green Lake is four hours away. Time to relax.

I pulled out my I pod and stuck my earbuds in tightly. After turning on some music I fell asleep. After the long ride I was jerked awake by the bus coming to a screeching halt to avoid a couple of inmates running across the dirt road with shovels.

I peeked out of the dusty window, and got a look at what camp life was like. Basically just digging and...

Holes. Lots and lots of holes spread as far as the eye could see.

"Aaah!"

The bus lurched forward sharply again, sending me toppling onto the floor. I got up and dust myself off with my free hand. "Take it easy," I huffed. "I'm in no hurry."

After another 5 minutes the officer uncuffed my hand and let me off the bus. Weary calls of "Fresh meat!" Rang through the hot Texas air. I looked around quickly. Catcalls accompanied by "it's a girl!" assulted my eardrums.

"Where's the lake?" I asked the officer as I looked around for the water. "Dried up a hundred years ago," he answered. "Let's go." I followed him into an office building marked "ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICE" in big faded lettering.

A sunflower seed sailed past my head as I sat down in one of the rickety chairs facing a dusty desk. A redheaded cowboy spat sunflower seeds into a jar and glanced at a clipboard. Nellie Johnson." He glanced again at his clipboard, then up at me.

"You're a girl."

No shit, sherlock. "Yeah," I said slowly. "Why are you surprised?" Mr Sir raised an eyebrow. "Anyone tell you this was an all- boys camp?" I clenched my teeth and exhaled deeply. "Actually no. They conveniently left that part out," I hissed. So much for getting off easy.

"Well, girly. While the boys are getting your stuff I'll take you over to get your camp uniform."

Wait what?!

"I'm staying?" Was I seriously supposed to stay in an all-boys camp? These detention camps are boys only for a reason!

"Course," He answered. "Your time here is court ordered. No questions asked. Final. Unless you would prefer jail?" He told me. "In that case I'll just call up the state department and tell them-."

"No, no, no, no, no!" I pleaded, not realizing my change in tone....and volume....had attracted a few spectators. I caught myself, and regained a bit of composure. Unfortunately, my dignity had been long gone by then. "I mean, this will work. No worries, sir."

"Good." He nodded. The guy got up and sauntered slowly over to another run down shack. "Besides, we have the finest facility in all of Texas." He reached for the door handle and when the door didn't open, he jiggled the handle. It was no use. He then resorted to pushing on the door. "This place has been in- tip top- shape for-! damn door won't open!" He pushed on the door, kicking it and ramming his shoulder against it.