Chapter Six: There's No Heart in Heartland City

The city seemed so much quieter now. At least it did to Shark. The spark that was once there seemed to be dimmer in a way. Yuma hadn't been around for almost three weeks now. No one had seen him. Not his family or his closest friends.

"I wonder what's up with Yuma? To be completely honest with myself... I'm starting to worry about him."

Shark was walking down the streets of Heartland City. Not paying attention to where he was going as he made his way. He's been doing this lately. Thinking about Yuma and if he was alright. The day when he ran into Yuma in the hall after his freak out in class was still very much visible in his mind.

Everything about Yuma that day was vividly clear. The tears in his eyes and the fact they were all red and puffy. The fact that his face was all red and he could barely stay up on his feet. Something so obviously happened, Yuma just wouldn't tell anyone.

"I'm going to get answers from him today. I don't care how much he bitches and complains, we need to know what's up with him. I need to know what's wrong with him."

Sharks slow walking suddenly quickened into a fast sprint as he turned to go in the direction of the Tsukumo home. He may not have been paying attention to where he was going but he knew the way to Yuma's pretty well. He had to get to the bottom of what was going on. Yuma wouldn't even come out to duel anymore.

"Damn it Yuma! You better have a good explanation for all of this."

What Shark didn't know was that Yuma was going through something you can't just explain to someone. Yuma felt ashamed of himself for what was going on. He should've known something was wrong when Astral was away for so long, but because Astral would usually be away he didn't think anything of it. But now, he wished he had.

When Shark reached the Tsukumo home he knocked on the door as hard as he could. It took a few minutes before someone answered the door, but when it opened the face that hadn't been seen by the outside world finally showed itself.

"Yuma?"

Shark was surprised to see that the person standing in front of him was really the duelist he became such great friends with.

"Hey Shark. Wh-what are you doing here?" Yuma's voice was shaky and tired as he spoke.

"I came to see you. Everyone's worried about you. Are you alright?" Shark tried opening the door to get a better look at his friend, but Yuma wouldn't let the door open any further.

"Yuma... open the door."

"N-no Shark. Now isn't a good time. I don't want to give you whatever it is I have. Please... just leave."

As Yuma was about to close the door Shark put his foot in the door way. He wasn't going to let Yuma push him away this time. Shark was determined to find out what was wrong with Yuma.

"Yuma... I'm your friend. I want to help you, but I can't if you won't let me."

Shark's words sounded like muffled pleading. Yuma's head had been in a foggy state since the night before. Dark Mist hadn't showed up, yet which most likely meant he was with Astral. So maybe this was finally Yuma's chance in getting help.

"Shark... I-I do need--" As Yuma stepped forward to open the door he suddenly fell forward straight into Shark.

"Yuma?! YUMA!"

Shark carried Yuma back into his house and laid him down on the couch. Yuma's face was a bright red and he was breathing heavily as beads of sweat decorated his visible skin. Yuma was burning up with a high fever.