prologue;; dollhouse

places, places, get in your places
throw on your dress and
put on your doll faces
everyone thinks that we're perfect
please don't let them
look through the curtains

xx

It hurt so badly. My leg was bleeding but I knew that Dad wasn't done with me yet. I resisted the urge to whimper, knowing it would only land me more punishment. It hurt so much. Out of the corner of my vision, I could see smashed bottles and the alcohol that seeped into the floorboards. I held my breath, waiting for the next blow to come.

His fist collided with my skull and a scream rippled through my throat. I could feel the tears coming now as my eyesight clouded more and more. My head was throbbing and I was so close to blacking out. He shouted some profanity at me but my ears were ringing so horribly I couldn't make out anything he said. I could feel the tears running down my face. I tried to move so that I was looking at Dad, but my limbs wouldn't respond. Searing pain shot through me when I tried to move so I lay still.

To my relief, Dad snatched two whiskeys and stepped over the threshold, slamming the door. I let out a strangled sob, trying to get up. It hurt everywhere. I thought he was getting better because he didn't do anything to me for the whole week. No such luck. I struggled to my feet and almost fell again. I held onto the wooden framed bed next to me and collapsed onto the mattress, suddenly willing Mom to come home soon. She always made everything seem better. But she left a month ago to go on some sort of trip - she was probably never coming back again.

My breathing slowed gradually, but the tears continually escaped my eyes. I must look absolutely pathetic right now. Finding the strength in my arms, I sat up and pulled the curtains open to face the window, watching the snow fall from the sky. With my bloody fingers I held onto the windowsill and pressed my face against the icy glass, numbing my cheeks.

What was I doing? I honestly don't know. I was thirteen and I still got beat up on more than a weekly basis. I was still blindly hoping for Mom to come home, for someone to look through the windows and call the police, anything. What was I doing? Praying that Dad wouldn't hear anything out in the other room, I punched the glass, feeling it shatter against my knuckles.

Raggedly I pulled myself up onto the sill, wincing as I looked down at my injured leg. I heard footsteps from the corridor outside and hurled myself out of the window. My eyes shot open at the cold sensation as I hit the soft snow. Scrambling away on my one able leg, I ambled away into the woods, searching for somewhere to hide. In the distance behind me I could hear Dad yelling my name, but they were fading as I headed deeper into the forest. Mist shrouded around the trees and I shivered, sniffing.

Finally I found a hole near the roots of a tree and crawled in. My body fortunately fit inside the hole - I was skinny after all, with the malnutrition. Curling up against the walls of wood, I promised myself that I, Scarlet Overkill, will get my proper revenge.

xx

hey! thank you for reading this! this chapter was kind of dark, sorry if you didn't like it. i would just like to say none of this is canon and no copyright is intended. the characters in this story do not belong to me. (: i hope you enjoyed!
- ashen x