In which we meet out Protagonist

The Lighthouse?

You really should have asked a few more questions. Though I suppose when you've only been in a city for a few days and someone invites you to a 'scary movie party', well getting over excited is forgivable.

You think how nice it was for the funny fellow at the fry shop to invite you. While cursing yourself for being egregiously, unapologetically late. Jogging up the grassy slope you catch the sound of a conversation. They're too far away to hear so you can make out what they're saying. You notice it's a boy and girl. He's happily explaining something to her. She nods and rubs her arms likes she's cold. Probably scared after the movie. Oh great you've missed it. You debate whether to start back home to the little rented apartment above Fish Stew Pizza, still watching the two figures in the distance.

Suddenly you're caught off balance by a knock to the back. You barely have time to register what happened before a tall thin man shouts

"Will you watch where you're going? Sheesh"He trudges past you, fists clenched, stalking down the hill with a singular purpose.

Well, that was probably the first rude encounter you've had since arriving here. You admit though that it still felt pretty amusing.

The next day you decide to walk along the boardwalk. You're still getting used to your new surroundings, every outing is an adventure. What a great decision to spend your summer here. This is such a beautiful place. The ocean is a deep glimmering blue and the sand looks so inviting. You have no doubt that you'll be spending this afternoon lounging on the beach.

But first, coffee.
And there it was just the beacon you were hoping for. A big building with purple and pink awning and giant donut on top. The store itself aptly named 'The Big Donut'. This looked like the perfect place to get your morning cup.

The overhead chimes rang cheerfully as you opened the door. The same kitschy pink and purple theme pervaded the store. It seemed homey and cute, but empty. In fact you were not only the singular customer in the store. The only singular person since there was no one behind the register either. You approach the counter and thankfully there's a little bell to ring for service. Briefly you debate pushing it feeling bad for disturbing whoever is working. Then you figure they could probably use your business. The bell chimes twice. A loud exasperated sigh flows out from the backroom.

"Welcome to The Big Donut. What do you want?" a disembodied monotone voice questions.
Just as they finish the sentence they round the corner and appear out front. His eyes widen slightly in brief acknowledgment. It's the guy you met last night. Well, if you want to call that a meeting. He doesn't mention anything so neither do you. He raises his eyebrows as if to implore you to order.

"A large black coffee, please."

"Really? Okay. Just so you know the coffee here sucks"

"Not having coffee sucks more"

"Heh" he chuckles. "Okay then 2.50. For here or to go?"

"I think I'll stay here for a bit."

He nods and pours the coffee into a large porcelain mug. As you go to reach for the cup your hands brush. He pulls back slightly looking at you for the first time.
"You're not from Beach City are you?"
"No. I'm just vising for the summer"

He laughs condescendingly "Ya. Well Beach City sucks too"
"We'll see" you retort cheerfully. Handing over the needed change.

You find a seat by the window with your coffee. There are a few newspapers spread on the table. One tacky looking pamphlet catches your eye. A homemade looking piece of literature printed on bright magenta paper. Keep Beach City Weird the title reads. You flip through the small paper reading about Watermelon People a Giant Green Hand in the Sky and Sneeple (whatever those are). During this time you're vaguely aware of the young man sweeping closer to your general direction. You pretend not to notice while you sneak a few glances.

He's kind of handsome you realize as he scowls down at floor. It's as if you're noticing him for the first time too. Long thin legs clad in tight black jeans. A goofy purple t-shirt with the half-eaten aforementioned 'big donut' printed on it. He keeps pausing to push the hank of curly red-brown hair from his face. And it's a cute face. Big soulful dark eyes that looked a little sad, and a mischievous looking mouth.

You're on the last page looking at Ronaldo's smiling face and contact information. That's the guy who invited you to the movie yesterday. You make a point to remember to check out his blog when you get home. And to apologize for not making it yesterday.

"Ha!" you hear a mocking laugh. Suddenly he's standing beside you. From the seated position you get a sense of how much taller he is than you, at least a foot. "You believe that kind of stuff? It's such bull." He needles you pointing at the pamphlet. You look up and him and shrug in response.

"Well it does seem pretty compelling. I mean there's even photos"

Sensing that your opinion is different so is his.
"Ya... Well then you wouldn't believe what I saw yesterday. Man, it would have fucked you up. There was this big huge monster at the lighthouse."

You smirk, not sure if you should believe him but eager to turn the tables. You narrow your eyes.
"Was that before or after you almost ran me over?"
He looks at you for a few seconds mortified, chewing his lip slightly. You switch demeanor and laugh in good humour. He relaxes and lets a mixture of a sigh and chuckle escape his lips.
"Hey it's no big deal. It was dark up there yesterday"
"Ya..."he trails off agreeing. He's leaning on his broom with both hands crossed over the handle. "So what are you doing in Beach City anyways?" he asks changing the subject and you're glad.
You take the last sip of your coffee. It actually didn't suck at all and it was hot too.
"Well" you begin coyly "I was drinking coffee. Later I'll probably go to the beach."

He rolls his eyes then narrows them and huffs You love seeing him frustrated. Before he has a chance to sass you back the blonde from yesterday comes into the store. She's dressed in the same uniform as him and you reckon their co-workers. He looks over and she waves to him. You rise from the table and he glances over to you.

"See you later" you say smiling not wanting to over stay your welcome. He nods and you see the first glimpse of a smirk cross his face. You can feel his eyes follow you as you exit the store.