"Hello?" The person who answered the door asked.

I turned back around, the corner of my lip perking upward, "Hi, Dad."

"Kevin?"

"No, um, Patrick," I corrected him, my cheeks growing a deep shade of red.

"Patrick. Right. My, you look different. What'd you do? Get a haircut?" He commented. More like lost a bunch of weight, but thanks for trying to make an effort, Dad. He averted his gaze from me to the boy in my arms, "Is he...?"

"Yeah, my son. Parker. He's three years old, can you believe it?" I smiled at my son and pushed the hair out of his face.

My dad ran a hand through what little hair he had on his head, "Wow."

"Yeah," I shifted my weight and took in a deep breath, "Hey, um-"

"What are you doing here, Patrick?" He interrupted me, crossing his arms over his chest.

"I was just about to ask you, uh, if I could stay here for a little while. I...well, I kind of decided to come here last minute, so...I didn't really book a hotel or anything. And I remember you saying at the funeral we were here for a little while ago that if there was anything I ever needed that I could, um, call."

I didn't know why, but my heart was pounding against my chest and I was starting to get a headache. It was like I was nervous to talk to my own dad. No, it wasn't like I was nervous, I was nervous.

"I know I didn't really call, and that this is really out of the blue and unannounced, but, I was wondering if you maybe had a spare bedroom we could stay in for a few nights?"

"A spare bedroom? A few nights?" He repeated, as if I was speaking a different language.

I nodded my head, "I promise we won't be a bother. Parker's really well behaved and-"

"David?" A female voice sounded from somewhere in the house. I peered over my dad's shoulder and saw a woman standing in the kitchen, looking out at us. I could only assume she was my dad's new girlfriend or wife. I honestly had no idea. Once my dad divorced my mom when I was a kid, I barely saw him again. I was surprised to even see him at the funeral. "Who's at the door?"

My dad turned around, "My son, Kev-"

"Not Kevin...Patrick," I reminded him, failing to hide the agitation in my voice.

"Right. My son, Patrick, wants to stay with us for a little."

"Oh, let him in! Let him in!" She exclaimed, "This one's the big rock star, right? Oh my god, this is so exciting! Let him in! I want to meet him!"

I blushed in embarrassment before telling my dad I was going to get my bags. I handed him Parker and he acted like he'd never held a baby before in his life.

Once the bags were brought all inside and up to the spare bedroom Parker and I would be staying in, I sat down at the kitchen table with my dad and Jeanette, his girlfriend. Jeanette had taken Parker - who had woken up and was a little cranky at first but had since calmed down - into her lap. The two of them were infatuated with each other.

"So," My dad tried to break the awkward silence that had blanketed over him and me. Jeanette and Parker were both a giggling mess, playing peek-a-boo and other games of the like. "What brings you to Chicago? I thought you lived in L.A."

"I do...I just wanted to come back and revisit some places that are special to me."

"Just out of the blue?"

I chuckled nervously, "Yeah, I needed a little break from it all, you know?"

"A break from what?" Jeanette asked, bouncing my son on her leg.

"His wife died not too long ago," My dad replied to her, "He's probably not handling it all too well."

"Dad!" I muttered, my eyes wide.

"What? I'm just answering her question..."

I shook my head and crossed my arms, averting my gaze away.

"David...have a little bit of respect." She mumbled angrily, looking over at me and saying in a much kinder tone, "I'm so sorry to hear about your loss, Patrick. How have you been doing?"

"I've been okay, thank you for asking," I retorted kindly, standing up, "But if you don't mind, I've been driving for nearly two days and I could really use some sleep."

"Oh yeah!" She replied, nodding her head in understanding, "By all means, go get some rest." She looked down at Parker and grinned, "Do you like chocolate chip pancakes?" My son shook his head eagerly, causing Jeanette to giggle. "Okay, good, because that's what I'm making for breakfast tomorrow...just for you." She poked him playfully on the nose and set him down on the ground.

He ran over to me and clung onto my leg, a wide smile stretched across his face. I bent down and picked him up, smiling at my dad and his girlfriend before going upstairs.

I closed the door behind us and set Parker down.

"I like her, Daddy," Parker told me as I walked over to his bag and opened it, looking for a change of pajamas for him.

"I'm happy for you, Park," I mumbled, searching through the unorganized bag.

He crawled up on the bed and lied down, yawning and closing his eyes, "She's gonna make me...chokwit chip pancakes...tomorrow."

"I heard. Now do you want to wear your dinosaur or train pajamas?" I pulled the two sets out and turned around to see that he had already fallen asleep. I dropped my arms and heaved a sigh, throwing the pajamas to the side and lying down beside him.