Chapter Twenty-Two

Start from the beginning

"Aw, thanks, Sis," she told me in a saccharinely sweet voice.

"Both of you, quiet," Mom finally interrupted. "As I was saying to Jonah before she wrongly assumed I was going to kill her sister, Allie's birthday is coming up."

"And?" I asked, waiting for her to get on with the point.

"And," she continued, "I was wondering if we could have her party here?"

I was wary as I asked, "How big?"

"Just the family," my mother assured me. "Nothing big at all. If Grayson says yes, of course," she added on with a nod of her head to the man who was still snuggled pleasantly against me.

"That'd be fine," Grayson said to her, and I felt him nod. I moved and looked at him with a you have no idea what you have just done, face.

"And I was thinking," Mom said, adding on, "maybe you could invite some of your friends too." She gave him a sympathetic look. "I know our family can get tiring at times, and from your conversations with English, I understand you don't get to see them that often."

Whoomp, there it is! Mom was trying to set Allie up with one of Grayson's friends. She was seriously giving some thought to the "My daughters are mates to Shifters because I'm a freak" thing. From the look Kennedy and I shared, she realized it too. Sure, the invite was genuine, and she did want Grayson to get to see his friends, but both Kennedy and I were able to see through her like glass.

As if he knew I was trying to hit him where it really hurt, Grayson sat up with me and wrapped his arms around my stomach, keeping me locked against his chest with no chance of freedom to kick at him. He chuckled at my antics, and eventually let me up so that I could stand and stretch.

"I think that sounds like a great idea," said a voice threaded with humor from the doorway. "I know I for one would love to see everyone again."

Grayson looked at English. "You just saw them less than a week ago."

"But living with all of them in the same building for over a decade has gotten me used to them being around."

"Anyway," Mom said again. "We would really love to meet all your friends, especially if they're going to be a part of Jonah's life." She licked her lips and continued. "I mean, if you're all on the council together, than you're basically a family."

"Cynthia," Grayson said in a kind voice, "it's perfectly fine. English and I can call them and see if they'll come. You can focus on getting Allie down here."

"Oh, I don't think that will be a problem," Kennedy said in a low voice. "I'll just send her some pictures of Grayson and his friends, telling her they'll be there." She smiled at all of us, a little evil grin that made me worry a bit. "I bet she'll be down here in less than two hours." It was normally a four hour trip.

"Well that sounds like a plan," I said to her, my own little evil grin in place. "Wonder how she'll react to English." I narrowed my eyes at her. "Might wanna stake your claim in that message you send her. Never know who she'll like..." I trailed off purposefully, a little giggle slipping out when she shot a not-so-nice look at me.

"Uh-huh," she replied. "Might wanna do the same thing, baby sister."

I smiled at her. "But she already knows that Grayson's mine. I don't have to worry."

Kennedy had no response other than to stick her tongue out at me, which meant I had totally won the non-argument argument. I laughed quietly as her face scrunched up at me.

Actually, I kind of cackled at her.

When everyone finally calmed down, we went and sat down for a movie night. Earlier that day I had gone around and cleaned the house, with help from Kennedy and explicit directions from Grayson about how to clean what and which things went where. He was still taking it easy, and had stayed on the couch, keeping a watchful eye on us whenever we cleaned the living room and whenever we passed through it.