Chapter Two

After I had signed the papers that I needed in order to work for the doctor, whose name I learned was Dr. Sanders, he disappeared and told me the guards would escort me to room. Still handcuffed but willingly going with them this time, they brought me to a simple room.

It was furnished with a small but comfortable looking bed, drawers, a lamp, and a mini-fridge. There was a small square window above the bed, but it's view was unpleasant. All that could be seen outside of it was concrete. Concrete paths, with concrete walls, and a view on another concrete building.

The guards took off my handcuffs and left me in there and exited without a word, closing the door behind them. Turning around and experimenting with the handle, I found that the door didn't have a lock. Good for me if I wanted to leave, but talk about no privacy!

Taking in what I assumed would be my room for the next 7 years, I wasn't entirely displeased. This was, in fact, a much more comfortable alternative to prison.

Only now noticing the second door, I opened it. A toilet, shower, and sink were stuffed into the tiny space. Ecstatic, I realized I had my very own bathroom.

Hope started to blossom inside of me. This really was a good alternative to a prison cell where I would have to have bunk mates and share the bathrooms with a hundred other girls.

Sure, I would waste 7 years of my life assisting a scientist with his crazy experiments, but I would be safe.

Besides, I'm sure I wasn't the only girl my age working in these laboratories. They were huge, and sure to be filled with other people that could be potential friends to make these years pass by faster.

Not all hope was lost.

With that thought, I fell soundly asleep under the red comforter.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The next morning, I woke up to knocking on the door. "Miss Montgomery, I am Dr. Sander's secretary. May I come in?"

Looking down to make sure I was appropriately dressed, I told her she could.

A beautiful woman who looked to be in her early twenties materialized in my room.
"Sorry, didn't mean to scare you", she blushed. "I've been practicing my teleportation".

I grimaced. Teleportation brought up some not so fond memories for me.

As a child, I had a very hard time with my powers. All Uppers have the five powers: telekinesis, teleportation, night vision, healing, and a somewhat limited control of the elements. However, everyone had different affinities or were especially talented for a certain power. My whole childhood, it had always seemed like I was bad at all of them, until recently. When I turned 17, my healing drastically improved and I became very good. One of the best, I've been told.

Nonetheless, I wasn't very good with my other four powers. The few attempts I'd had with teleportation did not end well. Let's just say each time I ended up in some pretty weird places.

Snapping back to reality, I smiled at her. "No problem. Did he send you?".

"Yes! As a matter of fact, he's expecting you in his lab soon. Why don't you get dressed and I'll take you there. I know you don't have any of your own clothes, so just wear whatever's been put in your closet. They should have gotten the right sizes".

She looked at me expectantly, and I stood there awkwardly, blushing.

"Oh! I'm sorry, I wasn't thinking! Silly me, I'll be waiting for you outside!".

Within seconds her form melted into thin air. That girl took her teleportation practice seriously.

I slipped on black skinny jeans and a green jacket that I found in the closet. How they had figured out my size, I didn't know.