Chapter VIII

The bedroom window shatters when Daryan ducks to the side, Chuck flying past him, most of his clothes falling off. His adrenaline pumping hard, his senses fully awake, he jumps to his feet, spinning to face the attacker.

Standing just inside the window is a man holding Chuck by the throat who is desperately trying to free himself. Wearing business attire, his suit hangs off his frail body. His eyes are dark like a bottomless pit, his hair white and thinning, his skin wrinkled and pale like an old man who has lived a full life. In quick succession he flashes Daryan a grin, bears his razor sharp teeth, then sinks them into Chuck's neck who yelps at the sudden pain.

Tossing Chuck into a wall, knocking him unconscious, he pulls out a red handkerchief from an inside pocket, dabs it around his mouth, then tucks it back inside his jacket. His hair becoming thicker, and darker, his skin regaining a healthy color as his body transforms into a muscular middle-aged man. His bottomless pit of eyes becoming more alive.

Daryan rushes forward, deflecting the vampire's hand that reaches out for him, grabs the collar of his suit, spins, and slams him into the wall above Chuck's body. Keeping hold of his collar, Daryan releases a primal growl. Every nerve in his body wanting to tear this vampire apart.

The man laughs as his feet dangle in the air, "You'll have to do better than that, ol' boy."

Glass breaking from downstairs can be heard, followed by snarling and growling. Jake obviously has  his own encounter to deal with.

Daryan punches the vampire in the side, causing him to sharply exhale as his ribs break. No longer laughing, a menacing look overcomes his face right before Daryan launches him into the chest of drawers that shatters beneath the impact.

Not relenting on his attack, Daryan rushes forward straight into a kick that breaks his healing ribs, and shoving him back several feet. He protectively covers his ribs with his arm, raising his other arm in front of him.

The vampire gets back on his feet, ready to charge Daryan when Chuck starts to stir. Stopping short, the vampire grabs the base of the chest of drawers and throws it at Daryan.

The piece of furniture crashes into Daryan, breaking apart on his arm. A fist then slams into his face as the vampire rushes by and jumps out of the window.

Chuck shakes his head as he gets back on his feet, then runs out of the bedroom door, Daryan following close behind. The front door and windows are intact when they reach the living room, snarling emanating from the kitchen.

In human form, Daryan isn't as quick as Chuck, injuries aside. Chuck crashes into the kitchen, violently barking then muffled growling immediately ensuing as he attacks the intruders.

Daryan enters the kitchen just in time to catch a glimpse of someone disappearing through the window. Another vampire appearing to be in his fifties, wearing a t-shirt depicting the grim reaper, and black jeans stands defensively, his arm having been thrashed upon.

The kitchen table is broken into several pieces. A younger vampire lies lifeless in the middle of the debris, his throat having been torn out, blood pooling around him.

An enraged wolf with black fur stands over the lifeless form with blood dripping off his muzzle. Jake stands with a paw on its chest, his left leg bloodied and injured, held close to his body.