Prologue

'This... pain...'

A deep rumble fills his chest as a growl reverberates through his clenched teeth.

'It's... excruciating...'

His mind begins to race as he tries to recall anything that he knows. Panic nearly overtaking him. The infection causing his wound to feel as if it is on fire. His blood boiling as it pumps through his veins. Each breath drawing in razors, cutting his lungs. The pain intensifying with each second that passes.

He clenches his teeth tighter, letting out a deep growl.

'It's happening... too... fast...' he thinks as his muscles start to spasm.

'Something... isn't right.'

He recalls the reports he heard on the TV detailing each stage of the infection and the symptoms from initial exposure until the total perversion of its host. He remembers clearly Dr. Gilchrist being introduced on the local news as the leading researcher. Dr. Gilchrist outlined the life of the virus, the effects of contracting it, and safety precautions to be taken. One statement plays over and over in his mind, "The process for the virus to fully corrupt its host is one to two months at which..."

His thoughts begin to scramble as he replays what the scientist had said. His body now shaking as if an earthquake suddenly started under him.

His consciousness starts to ebb with one final thought in his mind, 'Its only been a few hours...'