Chapter 2

Avery's P.O.V

I was suddenly awakened as the sound of my alarm went off. I woke up feeling refreshed but the thoughts of last night was still fresh in my mind. I can't believe he was interested in me. It's amazing to see how in such little time from moving out, my life has gotten better. That kiss was definitely something. The way I got butterflies and the way he held onto me. I was pulled away from my thoughts as Stephanie yelled my name from downstairs. Today was the first day of classes. I was excited I felt like a young school girl, but I couldn't help it. I was finally free to live my life. That excited me more than words could ever be described. Steph and I were driving to the campus where we were meeting friends.

"So who was the hottie that dropped you home last night?"

"I have no idea what you are talking about."

She looked at me and smirked, "The man who walked you to our porch and kissed you"

"It was the guy from the club. I don't think much is going to come out of it anyway. It was probably a drunken night." 

We got to the campus and met up with the girls at the coffee shop. I loved the smell of freshly grind coffee beans. It was so soothing, so I could tell I would be spending a lot of time here. We ordered our drinks and sat down before I saw Steph get up and ran towards the door. I looked at the girls questioningly. Stephanie ran up to a guy and hugged him. We then realized it was the guy from last night. Looked like he was also a student here.

"So it's sad that we don't have the same classes. I am the only one in the English hall. I only have my world lit class today." I looked at them pouting a little.

My friends all nod and we just sat and chatted. Just then, Stephanie made her way over to us. She seemed extremely happy. It was easy to read her. Matt asked her out.

"He asked you out, didn't he?"

She smiled. "Yes! We are going to grab dinner tonight."

I was happy to see Steph happy. She has not been seeing anyone since her last one ended in the tenth grade. We all said goodbye before heading to our different lecture halls. The professor gave a presentation of what we should expect from this course. He seemed like a good professor, I really thought I was going to enjoy it. As I was taking notes, my mind drifted off to James. I remember when he walked into my class and introduced himself. It felt like yesterday. I was so nervous seeing him standing there so tall, shoulders broad, wearing a dress shirt and slacks and these nerdy glasses. I don't understand why I have it so bad for him. I'm still trying to wrap my head around the fact that last night we kissed. It was insane. I've heard people in high school say that when you met your "mister right" you'd feel a spark, and that was exactly what I felt. I was then brought out of my thoughts from someone. 

"Uh, Miss. The class is over. Unless you want longer lessons."

I look up at my professor and smile sympathetically. "I'm sorry, I just got lost in my thoughts."

I got up feeling embarrassed and walked out of the room. Way to blend in Avery! I headed over to my next and final class of the day. It was only an hour long and then I was free for the rest of the day. I loved this flexibility you got. The hour flew by and I was then on my way home. Just then my phone started to ring. James was calling me!

"Hello?"

"Avery, it's James. How are you cara mia?"

"Hey, I'm fine. I just finished a class for the day, so I am going to head out."

"That's perfect because I was calling to see if you wanted to go out for dinner tonight."

Not going to lie, I was really hoping he was going to ask me out. "I'm not busy. I'd love that."

"How about I pick you up at 7?"

"Yes, I'll see you then."

I headed home and saw that it was only 1. I had a lot of time before dinner with James. I decided to clean up the house, have some lunch and enjoyed a rerun of "Friends". That was my favourite show of all time. It was now 5 and I decided to get ready for my date with James. It was a date right? I sounded like a lovestruck fifteen year old girl. As I was walking down the stairs, I heard someone knocking. That had to be James! I was so nervous. I opened the door, and there he was looking as handsome as ever.

"Wow, you look beautiful."

I blushed and gave him a hug. "You look handsome. Are you ready to go?"

He took my hand and lead me to his car. He settled in before driving to the restaurant. He turned and looked at me before looking back at the road. He took my hand in his and we drove off to the restaurant.

"You know, I'm really glad we crossed paths again. You always were a great student."

"So am I. We barely talked though, I was always super quiet."

We arrived at the restaurant and he took my hand leading me to the front. A waitress showed us a booth by the window and we settled in. We both ordered our food and drinks and then started asking each other questions, to get to know each other more.

"So you're living with your best friend?"

"Sort of. I have a complicated life and I thought it would be wise to stay away from home sometimes."

He nodded understanding, I didn't want to speak about it. We continued to ask questions and we learnt a lot about each other. We had a lot in common too. After dinner, we took a walk around the area of the city we were in. It was so enjoyable to hold hands and just walked along the water and just talked. I've never had this before. I've never been in love. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little afraid of how he made me feel.

"So how was your first day back, Avery?"

"It was okay, We didn't do anything except the prof gave a presentation about what to expect in the course."

"Sounds like you're going to have a great time. University is a wonderful experience."

"Right, because you're so old now. I mean 29, wow. Practically an old man."

He looked at me before chuckling. At around 11 we headed back to my apartment. I invited him inside and we sat on my couch laughing and talking about funny moments we had growing up.

"So let me get this straight. You opened your cousin's cage and his hamster disappeared?"

He nodded and I started laughing. I barely had any funny moments growing up which made me sad. I can't remember anything from before my dad left. I talked about memories I had with Steph. We had been best friends since kindergarten. It was after 1 when he got up to leave.

 "I had a great time today, Avery."

"I did too, James. Thank you for dinner. I really had fun."

He caressed my cheek looking into my eyes and kissed me. "I'll text you later, okay?"

I nodded and he kissed my forehead before leaving. As I watched him get in his car and leave. I closed the door and leaned against it content with myself. Today was amazing. James truly was a wonderful guy. I was really taking a liking to him. Just then Steph got home and I was cleaning up in the kitchen.

"So James says he had a good time today. What did you guys do?"

"We went for dinner and then came back here to talk." 

"Talk? Or was there anything else happening?" She smirked.

"No we just talked and was cuddled up on the couch."

We said our goodnight and I headed upstairs to get ready for bed. In bed, I couldn't sleep. Today just kept replaying in my head. I sent him a goodnight text before I put my phone away. I found myself thinking about my mom. Even though she broke me, I didn't want anything happening to her. I don't wanna find out that she's suffering or worse dead. I turned over wanting to shut my thoughts off and slowly started drifting off to sleep.