Sleeping With Your Best Friend

"Wake up already!" I could hear Alex's voice as he shook my shoulder. I slowly opened my eyes to the sun shining into his bedroom and Alex's face hovering over mine. He was sitting cross legged next to me, shaking me with a smile on his face. I laughed and sat up a little. "Seriously? Is this how you greet all the women you sleep with?" I asked, rubbing my eyes. "Just my best friend. Come on! I want to do stuff!" he slapped my leg and bounced off the bed. "What stuff?" I asked, laughing at him. "Let's go out, get something to eat! I don't know what else, just stuff!" he opened the door to leave. "Wait! Can I shower first?" I asked him and he rolled his eyes at me, still smiling. "I'm guessing you want to stop at your place to change too?" he asked. "Sorry!" I laughed even more now. "Just shower at your place! Come on!" he clapped his hands and disappeared. So this is what it's like to sleep with your best friend. 

     I came down the stairs at my house towel drying my hair. I had changed into a pair of jean shorts and a plane pink v-neck shirt. Alex was sprawled out on the couch looking at his phone. He sat up when he saw me. "You ready?" he asked and I nodded. "Your phone went off by they way!" Alex bounced up next to me as I walked to the kitchen counter where my phone was resting. One missed call from Katie. "It was Katie, I'll call her back in the car. Let's go, I'm starving." I patted my stomach and grabbed my phone, taking Alex's hand and heading for the door.

     "Hello!" Katie answered on the second ring. "What's up girl! How's Rex?" "I was calling to check up on you and see how last night went! But Rex is great!" "Of course he is, I can't wait to see him. Is he going to come see us at work tomorrow?" "I'm sure he can, we were hoping you would come to dinner with us tonight!" "Dinner?" I looked over at Alex who looked back at me quickly, shaking his head no. "Hold on." I said to Katie, putting my phone against my collar bone. "Why not? We could double!" I asked Alex. "I want to go shopping." he smiled at me. How could I say no to shopping. "Sorry Katie, Alex and I have plans." I put my phone back to my ear. "Fine. Oh, Rex wants to talk to you now." the phone fumbled on the other end. "Hello, Mia!?" Rex practically yelled into my ear. I laughed pulling the phone away a little. "Rex!" "Seriously I'm back in town and you have plans with your new best friend! Come on girl, that's shitty!" he acted like he was mad but I could hear him laughing. "Shut it Rex, you're back for good. Come to The Bean tomorrow around three, Katie and I are both off then and we can all hang out!" "Fine, whatever. I see how it is." "Tell Katie I have to go, we can catch up tomorrow at work! I'm glad you're back Rex!" "Yeah, okay. I'm glad to be back Mia. See you tomorrow!" I hung up the phone.

     "You know, I used to know a Rex. But there's no way it's the same guy." Alex said as he pulled up to the strip mall. "Really?" I asked, I'd only ever known one Rex, it was such an unusual name. "Yeah, but that was a long time ago." Alex smiled and pulled into a spot. We got out and started heading for the little Bistro along the shopping strip. "I want the cheese ravioli! And a sweet tea! I'm going to sit out here!" I called to Alex as I sat down at one of the patio tables. "Why am I ordering!?" he yelled after me but he was already heading inside. 

     Alex came back out with a number and two sweet teas, he sat down across from me and I sat my phone down. "Can I ask you something?" he said as he put my drink in front of me. "Of course." I smiled taking a sip. "Whose Joe?" he asked and I swear my heart stopped. I looked up at him wondering how on earth he knew about Joe. "I keep seeing you look at the message thread you have with someone named Joe, I was just curious." Alex shrugged, the tone of his voice still light. I knew he could feel the tension in the air but it's like it didn't affect him. "I...I'm not sure I want to talk about it." I finally said looking away from him now. "Okay, but you can tell me anything Mia. Even if it's an ex, I mean you told me about Jason. I just haven't ever heard you talk about Joe before but I always see you looking at his messages." Alex pointed to my phone just as our food came. A young blond girl sat our plates in front of us, lingering next to Alex. He nodded to her and she finally left. "It doesn't really matter who Joe is, he's gone anyway." I shrugged taking a bite of my ravioli. Plus the last thing I wanted to do was talk about Joe, I wanted to forget him not talk about him with my best friend. "Okay, that's fine. We can talk about something else....like...your sister." Alex sat up, taking a forkful of spaghetti.

     "My sister? What about her? I told you we don't really talk anymore." I glared at Alex, what was with him today. "I'm not trying to pry Mia! I'm just curious, you never told me why you don't talk anymore." Alex laughed staring at me. I smiled now too. "Fine, that's fine. I can talk about my sister." "Then go ahead. I'm listening." "You're fucking full of it today huh?" "Yup, so come on tell me." "It's not even that interesting. She just got heavy into drugs, chose that lifestyle over me, chose her dumb ass ex over me, and when she finally pulled her head out of her ass she'd already burned too many bridges with me. And...it's not like she's the same now, even if I wanted to mend things with her..." I shook my head, maybe I didn't want to talk about my sister. Alex sat across from me silent, for the first time ever I felt, he wasn't smiling. "What?" I asked, confused as to what was wrong. "Nothing." he shook his head and smiled again, turning his attention to his food. 

     Alex dropped me off at my place around nine. We both had bags full of clothes, shoes, and loads of other things. We had had a blast shopping and talking once I had stopped talking about my sister. He kissed me hard before I left his car, juggling my bags as I opened the front door. "That's one thing I miss about Joe." I laughed as I practically fell into the kitchen. Whoa, did I seriously just say that out loud? I didn't fucking miss Joe, it was way past time to stop missing him. I shook my head, dropping my bags on the ground and pulling my phone out of my pocket. I had a text from Lana. "What the fuck?" I asked myself as I headed upstairs to my room. I hadn't heard from Lana since everything went down between us. Just thinking about you a lot, saw you at the strip mall with some attractive guy. What happened to Joe? Thinking about stopping by The Bean tomorrow if I'm still welcome? :) I rolled my eyes at her text. I wasn't even mad anymore at what she'd said to me, I was mostly just done. I didn't care if she stopped by The Bean, if I was there or not it didn't matter. And I completely ignored her question about Joe, she should've stuck by me if she wanted to be involved in my life. Of course you are welcome, I'll be there from 6:30-3 tomorrow. Hope to see you <3  I pressed the send button and sat down at my desk, opening my laptop. I pulled up Katie's message thread as I waited on my lap top to load. I miss you, so happy we're hanging out tomorrow. Rex too! :D I sent a message to Katie. A second later my phone buzzed. 

Katie: Me too! We are both excited to see you, you spend all your free time with Alex now! :p

Me: I know, I'm sorry. :(

Katie: No! Don't be! I was kidding, I'm just glad to see you happy again!!

Me: Me too :) See you bright and early tomorrow. 

     I was happy, wasn't I? I mean of course I was. Alex was a blast, I always have fun when I'm with him. I had to stop thinking about Joe, I had to really move on. Or he was going to consume my happiness. I stared at my phone now, at his message thread. It was time to fucking move on for good. I double clicked his name and a list of options popped up. Delete Contact. I clicked it and watched his name and messages disappear.