Chapter 1

Avery's P.O.V

Freedom. Alive. Happy. This is how I felt. Growing up with an abusive and alcoholic mother was tough. I never had what every other girl had. I never had tea parties with my mom, or talking about boys, or watching sappy romance movies together. Instead, I got beaten, starved, abused on many levels — that being physical, emotional, and verbal.

I never really had my dad stick around either. He decided to leave when he caught my mom in bed with her boss. He didn't think to take me either. One day he just upped and left. He left me. Left me with her. Yet, part of me wished I could reach out to him. He's tried but I was never ready.

Throughout high school, I had to work in order to survive. My mother just stayed home and drank the child support money away. Between alcohol and bringing men into the house she never had time for me. Nor did she ever want me. She only wanted me as her punching bag. She blamed me for my father leaving.

Here I was about to finish college. I moved in with my best friend. And I could not be any happier. Happy that I escaped her. She doesn't know where I am, she doesn't have my number, and most importantly she doesn't have me. I had my friends and that was all the family I ever needed.

We were all about to start the last year of university tomorrow. We decided tonight would be a celebration for the next chapter of our lives. A celebration for me. I got to finally think and worry about me. We were going to this popular club downtown Vancouver and going to dance the night away. Steph, my best friend, and I got ready before we head over. We were meeting up with friends.

We arrived at the club and waited in line before getting in. As soon as we got in, we quickly made our way to the bar. The bartender was a tall attractive man who looked like he could be a player. He started flirting with us and that was when I realized my theory was indeed correct. We all ordered shots and while the girls were embracing the attention of the bartender, I got a text message. It was my grandmother.

Your mom keeps calling wondering where you are. Don't worry we haven't told her anything. Call me tomorrow. Love you x. Nana 

Of course she was looking for me. That woman couldn't leave me alone. I ordered another couple of shots.

"Let me guess you mom?" They all looked at me knowingly.

"The one and only," I said sarcastically.

"Hey Avery that guy over there is looking at you."

"Caroline, you're crazy. No guy would be looking at me."

She smirked before replying, "Take a look for yourself."

I looked in the same direction as her and I felt myself grow tense. I could remember those dark brown eyes anywhere. Sitting there was Mr Evans. He was a teaching assistant at our high school back when I was in the ninth grade. To be clear, he was doing his placement in teacher's college at our school. He was extremely good looking. He left after the school year was done. Does he remember me? Why was my pulse quickening?

"Guys I'll be back I'm going to the bathroom."

I went to the bathroom and looked at myself in the mirror. Had I been seeing things? Was it really him? If it was, why was he looking at me? Did he remember me? Of course he didn't Avery! You were just another high school girl. Not even a pretty high school girl.

I was walking out when I felt someone grab my arm. It felt as if my arm was on fire. I turned and met eyes with Mr Evans. He looked the same, only more handsome if that was even possible. Startled by him, I stepped back which had me pinned between him and the wall. He smiled before talking.