As soon as we were seated the left-seated man picked up a teapot, pouring Gui his tea first, moved on to Cole, Irvin, myself and then for his twin and finally poured himself a cup before setting the teapot down. It was all so alien and I'd get a sharp glance from Gui for pushing my chopstick in a ball of rice or for not holding my bowl of soup correctly – thumbs on the mouth of the bowl, fingers supporting the bottom of the bowl and palm empty. There was no eating before Gui until he commanded to do so ("Let's eat!") and there was no eating rushed or like an uncivilized horse. The pace of eating was in alignment with everyone else at the table and most definitely no finishing food completely (Irvin mistakenly had done so; Gui looked highly irritated, his scowl harsh and ugly on his face).

Food was set in the middle of the table: dumplings (which I could no longer avoid) oozed a warm soup once bitten into, noodles with red chillies and green garlic and succulent beef, crispy skinned duck with steamed buns (reason for Irvin forgetting his table manners) and seafood with their heads still intact.

Gui asked Irvin and I questions, probing into our lives, where we went to college, what our subjects were, our family. He was a persistent journalist, squeezing a story out of lifeless subjects. Irvin lied and I took his lead: I didn't need unannounced home visits.

As the night wore on we became agitated; I shifted in my seat, feeling uncomfortable with the unexplained interest Gui had in our lives: Cole's face grew darker and he had long stopped eating and Irvin ate hesitantly, his face torn as if he wanted to stop but he couldn't will himself to. He tried to appear occupied with eating but his head would shoot up and glance around the table, seeing if the room had disappeared yet. The two bodyguards straightened up in their seats, cracking their knuckles like they were in predictable Hollywood movies and giving Cole suspicious glances. Their impressive and yet frightening biceps stretched out their suits, ready to rip apart their clothes to mere pieces of fabric and become the new Incredible Hulks.

Gui appeared oblivious of the change in his guests. He chuckled, "Education is important. What are your career plans?"

"Uh, I'm not too sure yet."

Immediately his attitude towards me changed into dislike; quick as a snap of fingers, vicious as a venomous snake. "OH. I see."

One second he liked me, the other he resisted throwing himself across the table to pummel me into a mess of blood and black eyes. He cleared his throat, snapping his eyes to Cole and sighed deeply. "You're a guest here, King. No need to look so pained. It's disrespectful. I'm not holding you here."

"You know what I came here for," Cole looked at him, his eyes dead of emotion. "Enough games."

Gui grimaced, swallowing his displeasure like cough medicine, he rubbed his dry lips as if he was trying to stop his true feelings becoming known. "Desert is –"

"Shěn."

"Alright!" Gui stood swiftly, angrily. He waved his hand at one of his men and spoke in Mandarin. His tone was harsh, clipped, brimming with emotion like a child furious with their parents and threatening to kill them in their sleep. Staff came in in plain clothes, hurrying to clean the room of the dishes. They kept their head down and avoided eye contact, invisible if you didn't pay attention to them.

I had a slow building headache and I didn't know what was to come. Irvin stealthily grabbed my purse from my lap, taking out the gun. He shovelled food into his mouth at the same time and if I wasn't wary of the oncoming events, I'd be impressed. He didn't look suspicious, just a harmless teenaged boy. Cole rose, cocking his gun, holding it with the nozzle faced to the floor. Gui's second man jump up from his seat, pulling his gun out of his gun holster, aiming it at Cole. Gui stepped back, inching towards his man to hide himself. "I trusted you enough to not bring a gun into my house, King!" he yelled.