Chapter 5 - Can life get even worse?

Over the last week Anise had decided to pay extra attention to Fido. It wasn't in relation to the training but due to her suspicions he wasn't quite what they had been told. It wasn't that she didn't trust him since she did. Anise knew that he wouldn't let anything hurt her or her family in any way possible. It was a number of things. Initially it had been his size which nobody else seemed to realize. After that it was just how fast he picked things up. He was too smart for a normal dog and that made her wonder just what he might be. Maybe he did have some wolf in him since she knew they were supposed to be very smart animals.

She did do her best to learn the instructions and how to handle a service dog since she needed to know. Fido seemed to almost read her mind at times though and they quickly rose to the top of the class. It didn't matter that they were one of the newest service animal/master pairs. She had heard a number of people quietly comment on how well they seemed to be able to read each other's bodies. It was very interesting listening in even though she knew better. Her ears were still getting more sensitive as well as her nose and touch.

As far as her class with the Braille she wasn't doing quite as well but she was learning. It was hard in a way since her fingers had to use a certain delicacy when reading the Braille. From what she could feel she had to guess that the books had been used any number of times since some of the words were harder to read. In this case she sort of thought it was due to the number of fingers running across the bumps. By the end of the week she had learned the basics of how to interpret the Braille bumps into words. It was going to take her some time to really get it down pat.

In the evenings she was carefully trying to start helping around the house. Much of it was things like clearing the table and washing dishes. She had decided that for her to try and sweep, mop, or vacuum would be pointless since she couldn't tell where she was in the room. Maybe once she was older she could tell but for now? It was too much. By the end of the day she was really tired from everything she had been doing. When she crawled into bed she tended to just fall asleep till the next morning. There were a few times she had woken up sleeping on her face and it felt like her face was swollen.

Fido was being a good dog as far as she could tell. For some reason Mrs. Applewood had taken an instant disliking to him and tried to yell at the smallest stuff he did. She kept saying he was peeing in her yard and scaring her dog. Anise didn't believe that one bit since she figured Fido was above that. The two little kids on the other side of the yard loved him and that had to mean something. That was especially true with that stupid old woman.

The following Saturday Anise had approached her mother. "Mommy I would like to go for a walk with Fido." She wanted to go by herself so she had some time away from everyone. Amy had been really helpful over the last few days but it felt like they were all hovering. Anise normally didn't wander to far from home without her mother but she needed this.

Nancy was working on cleaning the kitchen. The girls had been doing a good job, or as best possible but it needed some work. "Give me a few minutes and I can go with you hun." She didn't even think before she said that.

Anise knew that her mother was going to say that and it almost made her want to cry. "Mommy I need to go for a walk with just Fido. I am only going to the park for a little while and back. I am going to have to learn to do this by myself since I want to go back to school when it starts." She was trying to be reasonable but her voice was getting tense.

Nancy turned to face her oldest girl and looked at her. "Anise school is one thing but to just wander around worries me. I know you want to start learning how to do things like you used to but don't you feel it is too soon?" She was trying to hide the sudden spike of fear she felt. Anise had been alone when she had been hurt and lost her vision. It terrified her to think of her baby being alone like that again. Even though Phideaux had protected them she didn't consider that with her knee jerk reaction.