Chapter thirty-nine

Start from the beginning

I glanced over at Hailey who gave me a thumbs up. I coughed three times which was the signal to put your mask on and be ready.

I slipped my mask on before using my chair to stand up on the table, then the music started and we all began dancing.

All in all, it went perfectly. There were no mistakes and no security came and interrupted our dance. Everyone watching applauded, even the people who worked there. After our dance ended we all grabbed our stuff before running out the door and into our cars.

We all laughed and high fived each other before going our separate ways.

“We better get loads of extra credit for that.” Kalina said as she ripped off her mask as Brad drove us out of the parking lot and back onto the main road.

I yawned before stretching out in the back seat. “Don’t worry, we will.”

“You know,” Kalina said turning around in her seat to look at me. “I think that might have been the first time one of those hasn’t gotten you in trouble.” She flashed me a grin before turning around again.

“Ya ya, whatever.” I said waving her off.

After Brad dropped me off at my place I took a shower before going to bed early, I was exhausted.

****************

Prom was coming up this Saturday and yearbooks were given to us Friday.

“Sign my yearbook?” A deep voice said behind me.

I turned around to see Aaron holding his yearbook out to me.

“Sure.” I said smiling at him before swapping yearbooks.

I sat down against the wall so I could sign his yearbook.  He sat down next to me before pulling out his pen.

Aaron. I wrote.

I’m glad I met you…moving here would’ve been a lot less fun if we hadn’t gotten close. I hope all of us end up going on vacation this summer. I’m glad we’re friends.
-Sage.

I handed him his yearbook back just as he finished mine. “Tada.” He said smiling.

“Thanks.” I tucked some of my hair behind my ear as we sat in silence and watched students run by trading yearbooks and laughing. After a few moments of silence I cleared my throat. “Aaron I feel like I should tell you something…”

“What?” He asked turning his body more towards me.

“I made a decision a few days ago…” I started but stopped. My nerves were getting the best of me. He nodded, motioning for me to continue. I sighed before pushing more hair behind my ear. “I have to stop leading you and Nate on and just dragging both of you along.” His head perked up and his eyes brightened. Oh god, he thought it was him. That killed me. “With everything that’s happened…I finally just sat down and thought about it…and I chose…Nate.”

I could almost see his heart shatter.

I didn’t regret my choice, but the look Aaron gave me made me want to cry.

“Oh.” He said looking away from me.

“We can still be-“

“Friends?” He asked cutting me off.  He swallowed hard. “Ya.” He said no louder than a whisper. “We can still be friends.” He pushed himself up before taking his yearbook and walking away.

I flipped my yearbook open to the page where everyone signs it and immediately saw Aarons hand writing.

I will always love you.
-Aaron.