Chapter 23: Remember Whatever (With Commentary)

*~(The title of this chapter is from Whatsername by Green Day)~*

Oh boy this is gonna be stuck in my head now.

*~Skylar's P.O.V.~*

The doctor bandaged my cuts and wounds and then I was free to go home. I'd have to wait for my parents to get here, because neither Frank or I had a car. Frank said he had ran all the way here when he heard something was wrong.

"What did you mean when you called Mr. Way my boyfriend?" I asked him. JUST LEAVE IT GIRL.

"I meant he was really your boyfriend. I'm serious! Do you really think I'd make something like that up?" Frank said. LET HER FORGET

"Why would I have a teacher for a boyfriend?"EXACTLY

"I don't know, but you really loved each other. That was clear to see." I'M LITERALLY GONNA CLIMB THE HELL IN AND DECK FRANK. SHUT UP.

"Why can't I remember him, Frank? What if I hurt him because I don't remember him?" I asked, suddenly panicked. NO YOU DIDN'T, GIRL. HURT HIM MORE.

"I'm sure he'll be fine. He'll wait for you." HE BETTER NOT.

"How old is he? Why did I date somebody so much older than me? Why did I break the law?" Because he's manipulative and abuses his power over you, girl!

"He's eight years older than you. I don't know why you did it. I guess you did it because you loved each other. I think that's all that mattered to you guys." SHUT UP. They did it because he manipulated her. Die.

"That's kind of cute. What was our relationship like?" GIRL NO IT AIN'T. The bullies must have seriously damaged your brain.

"I didn't see you two together much, but from what I heard from you, it was great. According to you, you snuggled and did all of that gross romantic shit. He loved you a lot. You also had sex a lot." SHUT UP FRANK.

I giggled but then realized something. "I had sex with him? I thought I was a virgin," I admitted. Why was she thinking about that? Was she just sitting in this hospital bed like "I'm a virgin"?

"Nope. You had sex with him." SHUT UP

"How do you know that?

"You thought it was funny to tell me all about how he was in bed." AND YOU DIDN'T CALL THE POLICE. BAD FRIEND.,

I laughed. "That does sound like something I'd do. I still don't remember that, though."

"I'm surprised you don't remember the sex. Judging by how much you told me, he must have been pretty good," Frank started and then paused. "That was disgusting. Why did I say that?" he asked, which caused me to laugh. FRANK FOR THE ELECTRIC CHAIR.

"I'm sure he was good. I just wish I could remember how good he was."

"You're disgusting," Frank said, which made me laugh again. Only Frank had the power to make me laugh at a time like this. That's why I love him. HE'S LETTING YOU BE ABUSED, GIRL. DROP HIM TOO.

"You know you love me," I said. I was grateful that I didn't forget Frank. That would have sucked.

"I'm gonna do all I can to help you remember him, okay? I really want you two back together," Frank said. I was so thankful to have a friend like him. Maybe I'd remember Mr. Way after all. I just hoped he wasn't too hurt that I didn't remember him. I'm sure he'll be fine. Just like Frank said, Mr. Way loves me, and he wouldn't move on if he really loved me as much as Frank said. I HATE YOU FRANK. CALL THE POLICE RIGHT NOW. DON'T HELP HER. HE SUCKS.

I'll have my boyfriend back in no time! I hope not.

I just need to remember him first. Please no.

I've said it before and I'll say it again -- true friends would not encourage you in this situation. True friends would be helping you get out. Friends don't let friends end up in abusive relationships because of manipulation and power dynamics. Don't be like Frank. Don't be friends with someone like Frank. I love you.

-2021 M