Chapter Four

For the first time since I'd arrived here, I smiled at the rays of sunshine peeking through my curtains. A stained glass window scattered colors across the hardwood floors, reminding me of the barn wall out back. I vowed to venture out there again before the weekend was over. I yanked on high-waisted shorts I'd cut the previous summer and a crop top that tied in the front. "Aunt Lisa," I called from the main staircase, "Have you seen my aviators?" In the kitchen, she help up my trusty Ray-bans and asked me where I was headed today. "Well, Landon's taking me to this mall about 45 minutes away and then we're going to a party in town," I replied coolly knowing how she would take it. She elbowed me in the ribs and wiggled her brows, "Ok. I'll probably be asleep when you get home. The key is above the door on the ledge."

My jaw dropped at the sight of Landon's '64 Mustang. "This is literally my favorite car!!" I squealed like a little kid. My dad was really into vintage cars and would take me to all these antique and classic car shows. "When I was about ten or twelve I fell in love with this car," I continued, "One of the original models was at this car show in Atlantic City and it was this awesome pale blue." He laughed at my giddiness. Not bothering to hide his suaveness, he leaped over the door, so I followed suit. "You're not supposed to one up me! It's my job to impress you!" he protested.

At the mall, we wandered into this cool-looking vintage store. A lady who looked older than some of the clothes greeted us. As soon as she asked if we needed any assistance Landon jumped in, "She needs a dress for this end of the summer party." I shot a look at him but he only replied with a shrug as if to say 'What did I do?' He ordered me to try on a pile of dresses. Some of which were clearly picked by a guy who wore khakis and a polo to every formal event. I modeled like a weirdo, striking outrageous poses and making insane faces. After what seemed like a hundred dresses he said, "You need to get this!" I admitted that it was kind of pretty with its lace, pearl detail, and Jackie Onassis style. "Ugh fine!!" I pretended to protest, but in reality, it was pretty freakin' gorgeous. "I'll take that," he snatched the dress from my hold, "and I'll just pay for another little surprise, and we're off."

Eating frozen yogurt in the food court, I demanded, "Now can I see the dress?" A devilish smirk crossed his face. He held up a very form-fitting and short dress. "For the party later," he explained, the smile still plastered on. My jaw remained on the floor when I said, "Oh no no no!!" I had every intention of leaving my partying days in the past, and plus, I had an impression to make!