I turned to Chloe, "I'll be right back. Meet you in the common room, ok?"

"'kay. Go get dry before you catch a cold," she scolded.

"I'm going," I put my hands up in defeat.

When I got to Elaine's office, I closed the door behind me. I unfolded the clothes she handed me. They were clearly too big, even though she said they should fit. That bitch. I guess they would have to do since I had left the rest of my packed clothes in the car, thinking we were only here for the night. Looks like our trip was postponed until the rain cleared up.

With a deep sigh, I stripped off the sopping wet clothes and they landed on the desk with a wet splat, spraying water everywhere. Oops, clumsy me. After I dried off some more, I went to pull over the baggy shirt. Just as I got my head in the hole, the door burst open. I whirled around, trying to yank my shirt down fast.

"Ever heard of knocking?" I demanded as I struggled like a drunk with the shirt.

It was Tim.

"Sorry about that," he looked at the ground.

I quickly pulled on the pants, "There, I'm done."

Tim looked me straight in the eyes, "Where'd you get those scratches from?"

"Really, peeping Tim? That's what you start with?" I placed my hands on my hip.

Geez, no shame with this guy.

He just shrugged and prompted again, "That come from a sick person? It looks like it's been healed for a long time."

These were a nosey bunch of people. "Yes, got scratched by an infected woman months ago, when this all first happened."

"You're immune," he said it so casually.

"Don't know about that. Maybe you have to be actually bit to get infected," I shrugged as I gathered up my wet clothes.

"I've seen people turn with a mere fingernail prick from a sick individual."

"Do I look like I work for the CDC? How would I know?"

He regarded me for second, "Thanks for helping out there and for rounding up those guys. They're not the tightest team I've ever had."

"Looks like they did ok to me."

"You know how to use that?" his eyes flicked over to my gun.

Oh, and on top of being nosy, they were rude. Why did they think I couldn't shoot?

"Thanks for your concern," I said dryly. "But I was taught by the best." I felt like puffing out my chest.

"You know how to use an AR-15?"

"No idea what that is." This guy had ADD or something, I swear.

The corner of his lips quirked upwards, "It's a semi-automatic rifle. Mac was using one."

I shook my head, "Nope, only used handguns and a hunting rifle."

"We could use another good shot here. Seems we're running low on trained people and able bodies. When the rain stops, I can give you a lesson if you'd like."

I chewed my lip. Clearly he was trying to enlist me and to be fair; they really did need more people willing to fight. But I needed to find John's gun shop and then Hargrove. Staying here meant a step towards permanence and then what if we never found our group? That wasn't an option. However, maybe they would offer to help if stayed for a bit.

"I'll think about it."

He nodded, "Let me know." And he walked back out of the room.

After hanging my clothes to dry and taking a quick shower to warm up in the hookup Roy finagled in one of the main level units, I spent the rest of the day with the others in the common area on high alert. The downpour didn't let up until nightfall and then it was too dark for us to leave.

I could tell Chloe was happy to have another kid to hang out with. They were currently playing snakes and ladders with erasers instead of the long lost game pieces. Mac had managed to make some sort of canned bean salad for supper that was actually pretty good. I should ask for some of his recipes.

There had only been a couple of infected that had made it to the apartment by the time it got dark. Tim easily dispatched them from the roof, never wasting a bullet. Tomorrow there would be a mass body round-up effort and I was dreading it. My injuries had finally healed from my fall off the fence and I wasn't too keen on re-hurting myself.

"So looks like you're stuck here another night, huh?" Roy grunted as he sat down beside me on the couch.

"Looks like it."

"Tomorrows gonna be fun. Dragging wet, dead weight around all day."

"Maybe we'll leave tonight, get a head start," I mused.

Roy grinned, thinking I was joking, "You finally ready to tell me where you're heading? Maybe we can help."

"Still not ready."

Roy shook his head, "Fine, but don't be afraid to ask for help."

As much as part of me wanted to tell Roy, I had a hard time trusting someone I just met. I mean, he seemed like a genuinely nice guy which made it all the more difficult. But he had offered to help, I would have to keep that in mind.

"Thank you, I appreciate it," I said, sincerely meaning it.

We decided to call it a night and as we walked to our room, a lone shot reverberated through the building from the rooftop.

---------------------------------

A/N: Can't get enough of this story? Then feel free to check out my post in this summer's Wattpad Block Party. It's a never before seen fake movie interview with the cast playing Bailey, Taylor and Chloe. Just click on the external link to bring you there or use this URL: https://www.wattpad.com/149212496-wattpad-block-party-summer-edition-n_d_iverson

Hope to see you there :)