Chapter 1- Meghan

"So let me get this straight. You broke your foot trying to get up the ladder first?" Elizabeth Holt asked a crippled 16 year old girl with bright teal hair.

"That's right," she replied with a smirk on her face. Elizabeth rubbed her fingers on her temples.

"Meghan, you have to learn to be responsible some time in your life," she told her. "For a young lady who is almost out of high school, you take very large risks."

"It could've been worse. I could've lost and had to give up fifty bucks," Meghan said shrugging her shoulders.

"It was a bet!?"

"Yeah. By the way, can we stop by the bank on the way home? I need to cash this," Meghan told her pulling out a check for fifty dollars and thirty cents.

"What is the thirty cents for?" Elizabeth asked her.

"Oh, Marty had to pay me back the rest of my money from my last bet," Meghan replied.

"You know what? We are just going to go by the pharmacy, get your medicine, and go home. No more stops. It has been a very long day, and your little brother will be getting home soon," Elizabeth said getting into her red Mini Cooper.

"Can I get together with some friends tomorrow? Everyone is heading down to the lake," Meghan asked. Every other Saturday, Meghan and her friends went somewhere for the day, and would eat dinner at the pizza joint downtown.

"No, young lady. You are grounded, and your foot is broken. How would you swim?"

"I don't have to swim. I can just sit on the boat."

"No. Besides, we have a family reunion to go to."

"Ugh, I forgot all about that. Can I just skip? I'll stay home and watch Netflix, no harm."

"No. Your Aunt Brookie is healthy this year. She hasn't seen you in so long."

Meghan's Aunt Brookie was battling cancer, and is now cancer free. The last time Meghan saw her was three years ago, and everything about Meghan, besides her personality, has changed.

"Ya got me," Meghan told her as she looked out the window at the tall red oaks, and blue skies. Perfect for pictures. If only she had a camera...

As they drove up, Meghan saw Ashton Steed in his yard with his dog Ham. Meghan had a major crush on him, but it was always so akward. Meghan is outgoing and social, but Ashton is quiet, and usually keeps to himself.

"You need to talk to him," Elizabeth told her.

"I don't know, remember last time?"

"Ah yes, the week you stayed in your room. All because of another girl at the party."

"Hey, I thought they were dating. How was I to know they were cousins?"

Elizabeth just laughed. "Aw, he'll warm up to you. He just needs to get to know you. Trust me," Elizabeth said putting her hand on Meghan's leg. "Mother knows best."