Chapter 3

~* Kasumi's POV *~

"Nanami!" I exclaimed as she walked to school. I decided to walk with her to her classroom, wanting to see Kurama. Nanami turned around and smiled as she saw me. She stopped, letting me catch up to her.

"Hi, mind me following?" I asked. She shook her head no, letting me tag along. People stared at me as we walked. They probably see me as a new person in town since they've never seen me before.

"Mommy, that pretty lady as ears!" a little boy squealed, pointing to my fox ears. Nanami gasped, noticing my hard to miss ears and dragged me to a secluded area. She told me to hide my ears and tail so no one would suspect that I'm not human. I did what she asked and hid my ears in my hair and wrapped my tail around my waist, making it look like a belt. Ugh, my ears are itchy!

We finally made it to her school. Students stared at me in awe. Fox demons are charming, seductive, sly and cunning. We have an alluring aura, which those I meet find it hard to resist. I ignored their stares and continued to chat with Nanami. Too be honest, she isn't that bad. She's actually really nice. I actually like her which is quite odd because I hate humans.

"Who is that?"

"Is she new?"

"God, she is beautiful!"

"She's gorgeous!"

"Who is she with?"

"I think that girl's name is Nanami!"

"Eew, why would she hang out with her? Didn't Nanami get evicted from her house?"

"Yeah, she did."

Their whispers started to turn harsh. I glanced at Nanami and saw her staring at the ground sadly. Humans are so judgmental. One mistake and they will hate you forever. I stopped walking, making Nanami stop as well.

I turned to the crowd that had been watching us. I smiled at them with a fan in my hand. I waved it slowly near my face, cooling myself off. They stared at me in awe.

"Listen up," I said, gathering everyone's attention. "Nanami is a friend of mine. If any of you dare to hurt her or make her sad, you will have me to deal with," I said sweetly yet venomously. Their eyes widened at my bold threat. I smirked and turned around, walking away.

"Thank you for that," Nanami said gratefully. I smiled at her. "No problem." She told me about how her and Tomoe met. It was quite interesting. When she told me that Tomoe didn't save her when a witch attacked, I swore to her that when we return to the shrine, I would kick his ass. She giggled at my comment.

We walked into her classroom. The students stopped their conversations and stared at us. I have to admit, I do stand out the most. Everybody had a school uniform while I was wearing a flame-patterned kimono. I also had a fan held up to my face, slowly fanning it because it was so damn hot.

"Bye, Nanami," I hugged her before leaving. I didn't get to see Kumara but that was okay. Now that I think about it, I never want to see him again. I hate him, I don't know why I ever loved him.

I stood on top of a tree that was near Nanami's classroom so I could keep an eye on her. I'm starting to see Nanami as a friend.

She was currently getting teased a blonde boy. He was making fun of her ridiculous purple cat thing on her head. I was about to intervene when suddenly mist drifted into the room.

The door slammed open, outlining a shadow of a person. My eyes widened, knowing exactly who it is. Kurama...

He stepped forward revealing his face to everyone. His dazzling smile won my heart the first time we met and I'm afraid it won me over again. Old sparks in me flared as I stared at him in awe. He sent everyone a sly smirk making the girl's squeal. I narrowed my eyes at them, jealousy consuming me.

He walked up to Nanami before rudely telling her that it was his seat. My eyes widened as his harshness. He was never this rough when we were together.

Snap out of it, Kasumi! You hate him! I growled angrily. I can't believe I fell for him again. You hate him! You hate him! I chanted in my mind. Yes, I hate him. And I'm keeping it that way.

Nanami ran out of the room, crying. I used an enchanted leaf to teleport myself to the girl's restroom. Once I was there, I noticed Nanami sobbing. I soothingly rubbed her back, telling her he wasn't worth it. It's true, he wasn't worth a Land God's tears.

"Nanami," Tomoe suddenly appeared. I gave him a warning glare, knowing that he was about to say something harsh.

"Did you get bullied by some humans or something?" Tomoe teased. I growled warningly one last time. He better fuck off before I kick his ass. Even though I was younger than him, we both know that I am stronger than him. I was born with more abilities than him for some reason, making me stronger.

"W-What are you doing here?" Nanami asked in shock. He responded by telling her that he was worried. I rolled my eyes. He was definitely not worried.

"Kurama said something mean to me," she stated. Tomoe's eyes widened at that name. He snapped his purple eyes to me, asking me if I was okay. I nodded in response. He sighed in relief. Tomoe turned back to Nanami, smiling smugly.

"If you got your chance to meet him, you must have no more reason here at school," he smirked. I rolled my eyes. My brother can be so mean sometimes. "Let us return to the shrine," Tomoe smiled.

"Here I am crying, why are you smiling?" Nanami turned around with tear stained cheeks, heart broken. "You don't feel worried about me at all." With that, she ran out of the ladies' room.

I sighed in frustration before turning to my idiot of a brother. "I can't believe you did that. If you were my familiar, I would have killed you. Stupid Familiar," I flicked his nose. That's exactly what I did when we were kids. Whenever he acted like an idiot, I flicked his nose. It's our special brother and sister thing.

He glared at me and rubbed his nose. I got out of the restroom to go chase after Nanami but stopped as someone called my name. I froze at that voice. I've been caught.

I glanced behind me. Kurama stood there, staring at me in shock. The old sparks flared once again, but this time even stronger. I started to remember every single moment with him, every laugh, smile and kiss we shared. His eyes held guilt and regret as he stared into my eyes.

I forced myself to turn around, my back facing him. I started to walk away, making a sharp left as I went.

"Kasumi!" Kurama chased after me. I made a run for it, not wanting to see him. My anger consumed me, clouding my judgement.

I took out an enchanted leaf and kissed it. I whispered foreign words before a foggy mist surrounded me. Kurama noticed and tried to reach out for me but I was already gone, lost in the wind. The enchanted leaf had carried me back to the Mikage shrine.

My legs gave way. I kneeled on the ground, burying my face in my hands. I cried silently. My tears were full of anger, sorrow, longing and most of all pain. I love him, I hate him. Which of these do I feel the most stronger?