Chapter 16 - Winter 1921-Autumn 1922

Start from the beginning

 Work started on the Maltings in the middle of November. An unusually mild autumn meant that they made good progress. Tom was recruited first and proved he was a quick learner. Freed from the controlling influence of his father, he soon became brighter and more sociable. For the first time in his life, Jed found himself actually liking his brother.

 Alice’s father joined the business in December. He had initially refused the offer of work, not believing that anyone would want to employ him. But after Jack had spoken to him and persuaded him that the offer was genuine he had accepted with the promise to cut down on his drinking. He took on the role of labourer and uncomplainingly moved bricks and slates around the site to keep Jed and Tom supplied. Occasional lapses led to unscheduled days off but he would soon return and carry on as before.

 May 1922

The worst of the winter was over and warm spring sunshine streamed in through the parlour windows. Alice shuffled uneasily round the kitchen preparing Jed’s breakfast. Her stomach had ballooned in the past few weeks with the birth of the baby due in less than a month. Jed was silently focused on his plate of food and communicating with Alice only by means of the occasional grunt. Work on the Maltings was now in full swing and Jed spent most of his time preoccupied with keeping the project on schedule. He was now employing five men and a number of sub contractors. All the exterior work was complete and they were working hard on the interior fittings which included tiered seating for two hundred and fifty people.

 Jed was roused from his preoccupations by a shout from Alice. She was clutching at her side and looking down anxiously at a pool of water that was growing beneath her. Jed got to his feet, awkwardly offering to help but not knowing how.

 “Jed, get Jack. My water’s have broke and I need Jack.”

 Jed felt irritated that it was Jack that Alice wanted at this time of need but the urgency in her voice left no room for doubt. He raced up the stairs calling out Jack’s name. Jack emerged from Alice’s room pulling on his trousers.

 “Jack, Alice says to come quick. Her water’s broke.”

 Jack pushed past Jed, nearly falling down the stairs. He took Alice in his arms and held her tightly. Jed felt confused and looked away.

 “I’ll take you upstairs, my darling, and lie you down. Then we’ll get help. Everything is going to be fine,” cooed Jack softly.

 He went to lift Alice up into his arms but a coughing spasm suddenly seized him. Jed had noticed recently that the attacks were becoming more frequent.

 “Well, come on then, man, help me,” demanded Jack.

 They took hold of an arm and a leg each, then with difficulty manoeuvred Alice up the stairs and laid her on the bed in her room.

 “You need to fetch the midwife quick.” gasped Alice.

 Both Jack and Jed had been well rehearsed for just such an eventuality. The town midwife was Mrs. Burns, a plump fifty year old widow who had delivered half the population in Frampton.

 “I’ll go,” volunteered Jack.

 “No, I need you to be here with me. Besides, it might look odd if you go. It’s better if the father goes. Well, you know what I mean. Jed, will you go and fetch Mrs. Burns?”

 It took Jed ten minutes to sprint into the centre of town and make contact with Mrs. Burns who lived in a small labourer’s cottage just off the market square. Within minutes of Jed’s arrival, Mrs. Burns had mounted her bicycle and was making her unsteady way back to Hope Cottage. Jed jogged behind, his heart pounding.