Normal

The sound of my alarm pierced my ears like daggers. I groggily rolled over in bed, reaching for my phone but nothing was there. I struggled to sit up in bed, the darkness of my room was consuming. I tried to remember where I was, trying to remember the feeling of this room. I reached to my left now and grabbed my phone, turning the alarm off and resting my head against the wall behind my bed. This was only my second night in my very own town house. Just down the street from Katie's. I was still confused by my surroundings. I moved to the edge of the bed, my feet automatically hitting the floor. No bed frame, that had been Jason's. He'd let me have it when I moved to LA but once we officially broke up he decided to take it, leaving me to pile my queen sized mattress on top of a box spring. I kind of liked it better this way. Change was good, it kept my mind away from...I rubbed my eyes, breaking my thoughts and stood up. 

     I stood in front of the mirror hanging on the inside of my closet. The morning sunlight was just now shining in through the blinds. I was in a pair of faded denim shorts with a pink v-neck shirt and a half sleeve black blazer on top. My hair fell in a wavy mess around my shoulders. It was getting long now. I liked that too. I had on a thing cat eye with a little mascara, my red apron in hand. Some things didn't change though. I grabbed my phone from the nightstand and headed downstairs. The house was still a little empty. There was an overly stuffed tan couch in the living room and a small red accent chair next to it. Both facing a blank wall, I didn't even have a TV yet. I turned the lights on in the kitchen, a small island separating it from the living room as my phone rang. Katie's name was glowing against the screen. I slid my black acrylic nail along the answer button and raised it to my phone.

     "Hello dear, how are you this morning?" I smiled, it was always a relief to talk to her. I opened the fridge, staring at the bear contents. "Oh Mia, I've been better." she sounded sad and I shut the fridge door, leaning against it and furrowing my brow. "What's wrong?" my heart began to race. "Nothing major, just...Rex called. You know he was supposed to be home two weeks ago but he called and said it would be another week. Well now he's saying he's coming back with Josh and Mike." "Oh Katie, of course that's major." I sighed, my heart heavy for her. She'd been missing Rex like crazy and I know he'd been missing her. He texted me all the time asking how she was doing and saying how much he missed her and I. I missed him too. "I know another week isn't that long, but an entire month has been way way too long without him." "I know, that's way too long to be away from each other. But you're right, a week will fly by in no time and he'll be home for good. And we will have a grand party for them all." I smiled into the phone, giving up on breakfast at home and grabbing my keys from the hook by the door before leaving the house. 

     "Oh shit Mia, listen to me. Going on and on about missing Rex when he's at least coming home....how are you doing with this Joe thing?" the sound of his name was a little less painful to my ears but it still made the hair on my neck tingle. "It's getting easier. I feel almost....normal?" I sighed, locking the door and heading out towards my bug. I didn't feel like walking or riding to work today, I wanted to cruise. "I'm sorry Mia. I keep asking Rex but he says Joe won't budge, he says he's acting like nothing ever happened. Shit, you probably don't want to hear that either." "No, it's okay Katie. He should forget everything that happened. I need to...that's for sure." I said to her but I think I was saying it more to myself. I threw my apron into the passenger seat and pulled my seat belt over me. "Yeah, fuck him. God, fuck men. Let's go out tomorrow night okay!? We both need to let off some steam." Katie's voice perked up and I smiled for real now. "Yes, I am so down. Let's get fucked up. I have to go now though, heading in for my shift. I'm kind of nervous about this new guy. He's been there a week and neither of us have worked with him. What's that about?" I started the engine of my bug. "I know right? Chris said he had him on nights mostly but I guess he has another job so he's working mornings now. I don't know, but good luck. I love you and I'll text you later." "Alight, bye girl." I hung up and threw the phone next to my apron, turning the stereo up and pulling out of the driveway and onto the street.