Chapter 3

"Close your eyes" Josh commanded as he placed my hands over my eyes. His hands made their way around my waist unexpectedly. This made me cringe at first. I may be seventeen, but I've never had a boyfriend before. I've never even had a first kiss. Sure I've had guy friends, but it never got any further than that. So when he touched my waist it just wasn't something I was used to.

We walked, him gently pushing me in the right direction, for about five minutes until we came to a stop.

"When I'm in a shitty mood, this is where I like to go," he explained as his warm hands directed mine off my face. My arms fell to my side as I gazed at this incredible view. It was this small lake, surrounded by trees getting ready for spring, with the setting sun radiating off of it. It was soothing. In that moment I felt so calm and so peaceful, like the whole world didn't exist.

"I see why you come here."

I sat down inches away from the lake and Joshua plopped down next to me. We sat there, silent, for a couple minutes, but it was nice.

"Is your shitty mood gone?" He smiled a little.

I half-smiled back. "For now." Sitting there with Josh felt so...normal. I could use a little normal right now. Who knew the arrogant asshole could turn out to be such a softy. We watched as the sun set and the sky turned to a pinkish color. "Can I ask you something?"

"Shoot."

I hesitated, "Why are you here?"

He tilted his head down a bit. "Because I wanted to take you to a place to get rid of your shitty mood."

"I meant here as in this foster home, " I clarified.

He looked out into the lake for a bit. The crickets filled the silence as I waited for him to respond. "My parents didn't want me." He answered almost cheerfully. "Well, I guess I should say my mom didn't want me because apparently my dad didn't know I was even born."

I searched for the right words to say. I know I have it bad, but to have parents who are supposed to love you give you up because they didn't want you, that must be horrible. I mean, my parents didn't choose to leave me. God, I miss them.

"Why didn't she want you?" I finally ended up asking.

Ignoring my question he quickly stood up, holding out his hand for me to use for assistance. I placed my hand in his and he pulled me up effortlessly.

"We should head back." He suggested, but didn't wait for me to reply. He just began to walk ahead of me, not looking back once. I followed him down a dirt path, seeing the house in the far distance. Maybe I shouldn't of asked him something so personal. It's none of my business. He clearly doesn't want to talk about it just like I don't want to talk about why I'm here. Can't blame him.

As we were walking I looked to my left to see my mother leaning against a tree staring at me. I froze in place and stared right back at her. Josh continued walked for a few more paces until he finally turned back to see me dead in my tracks.

"You coming?" He asked as he looked in the direction I was staring at, trying to figure out why I had stopped.

I didn't answer. I slowly sauntered over to my mom. I didn't hear footsteps behind me so I knew he wasn't following.

She smiled ear to ear and winked. "Is that your new boyfriend?"

I just stared. I didn't know what else to do. If I talked to her it would look like I was talking to a tree, but if I didn't maybe she would disappear again. I didn't want her to.

"What are you staring at?" Josh finally asked.

"Um...Nothing." I muttered hesitantly. "You should go back to the house. I'll meet you back there." I spoke fast and eagerly. Eager for him to leave.