"Only Breen chose to be a Hunter"

"How interesting" Sebastian said disdainfully,

"And what of yourself" Aldren asked Marcie, "Are your family all Hunters?"

Merrick snorted,

"No, my mother was a seamstress and my father a Wood Cutter" Marice said, ignoring Merrick, she would ask him why he was being so unkind at a later time,

"I started hunting when my mother died and my father was injured and unable to work"

"Have you no siblings, brothers who could provide for you?" Aldren asked, leaning towards her earnestly,

"My brother ran away years ago" she replied shortly, "He is either dead or living a full and carefree life without me"

"Probably dead" Breen said his eyes hard, "Death from the forest beings is no less than what he deserves"

Merrick grunted in agreement.

Marcie brought firewood to the tavern for Luce one afternoon.

They had hit a warm spell in the midst of winter and the snow all around was melting, the ice dripping from the roofs of the houses.

She spied Aldren leaning on a fence post in the distance, his dark hair a beacon in the whiteness.

He was talking to someone, Marcie walked faster to catch up with him, but when closer saw that the person he was talking to was Kena.

Kena was standing very close to him, gazing up at him from under her lashes.

Marcie stopped and quickly changed direction, she didn't want witnessing two people in compromising situations to become a habit of hers.

She had walked a few steps when she heard someone call her name, she turned to see Aldren running to catch her up, Kena watched him go then turned and stalked away.

"Let me help you with those" he said, indicating the large pile of logs in her arms,

"No need" she said simply, "What did Kena want?"

Aldren grinned boyishly,

"She gave me a very interesting proposition" he smirked,

"Did she now?" Marcie said with a raised eyebrow, "Will you accept?"

"I will consider it. Who knows, I may receive a more attractive offer" he said gazing at her,

"You probably will" Marcie said, shifting the logs a little to ease her aching arms, "I need to drop these off at the Tavern, will you return there?"

"You know, I think I shall" Aldren said, straightening, "Not all of your kinsfolk look too kindly upon me"

Marcie snorted, "They are very simple people, come along, lets get you out of their sight" she started walking.

They walked in silence for awhile before he spoke,

"You say 'they' as if you do not feel you are apart of them?"

"Is that a question?" Marcie asked, pinning him with a stare,

"Yes" he said, returning her stare,

She looked away first,

"No, I don't consider myself apart of this village" she said shortly,

"Why not? If it is not too bold to ask" he said,

"It is not too bold, I admire bluntness above all else. And it is because I have green eyes" she said simply.

"Yes, I have noticed that the villagers do not seem so keen on you, despite your obvious allure" he said quietly,

Marcie did not know what 'obvious allure' he spoke of, so she continued as if he had not said it,

"As I said, they are simple folk and they desire things to be just so. They despise things that are not" she shrugged, "Do not take it to heart, you will not be here long enough to feel the weight of their stares too deeply"

They arrived at the Tavern and Aldren strode ahead to open the door for her, it must be an outsider custom but it helped as her arms were full so she entered before him.

Jin was sitting at a table smoking a pipe, his usual gaggle of story hungry admirers around him. He waved when he saw her and fell deeper into his story.

Sebastian was nowhere to be seen, but neither was Breen, so that may explain his absence from his masters side.

She left the busy room to climb the stairs to see Luce.

Dara showed her an icicle he had found and promptly got his tongue stuck on it when he tried to lick it.

So Marcie had a big smile on her face when she entered Luce's room. She placed the logs by the fire and began to feed the embers more fuel,

"Oh bless you Marcie" Luce said from the bed.

She was wrapped in furs and rocking the sleeping form of Myriam in her arms. Dafne said she was to remain on bed rest for as long as possible, Luce grumbled but the pained sounds she made every time she moved told Marcie all she needed about how much recovering she had to do.

When the fire was roaring, Marcie pulled a stool next to the bed,

"How are you feeling" she asked, placing her hand on Luce's forehead to feel for fever that would betray infection, thankfully she did not appear to have one,

"I am well my darling, I think the worst is over" she indicated the sleeping baby, "I believe she will live through the winter, she feeds well and she is strong, grips my finger so tight I loose feeling" she laughed softy, overjoyed.

Marcie smiled happily.

"Now my dear" Luce said, adjusting Myriam in her arms, "You must tell me what has you so happy. I do not think I have seen you smile so since before your mother died"

Marcie considered what to tell her, then decided to settle on a part of the truth,

"I am just so happy for you Luce, the delivery was so difficult but both you and the Myriam pulled through" she said reaching out to stroke the child's tiny fingers.

"Now now, I know there's more to it than that" Luce said firmly, "Who is it? Is it one of those outsiders? Because if so, I don't approve darling, you need someone for life, not just one season"

Marcie was surprised, she opened her mouth to say that no, she was not involved with one of the outsiders but then stopped and decided that,again, she would use the truth rather to save Luce pain of any kind.

"Sebastian is an arse" she started by saying, "Jin is interesting and I enjoy his company but I prefer Aldren, he is calmer and not so...energetic"

Luce appeared alarmed, "Well" she said, not meeting Marcie's eyes, "I can tell you have been busy"

Uncomfortable silence settled, only broken by Myriam yawning loudly,

"So...is this 'Aldren' handsome?" Luce asked after awhile,

Marcie thought about it, "Yes he is" she said eventually,

"Well,if he makes you smile like that more often, I suppose I should not complain" Luce said business like, "But remember dear, he will not be here for long and soon he will leave you, just remember that"

"I will Luce, you don't need to worry"