Onryo

The Onryo is one of the most feared Japanese ghosts. Typically a woman (though there can be men Onryo), the Onryo is a furious ghost that believes it has been terribly wronged in life. Often the victim of a violent or traumatizing demise, the Onryo seeks vengeance indiscriminately. When an Onryo is seen they appear as they did at the moment of death -- no matter how gory.

The most famous Onryo is the story of Oiwa, a faithful and loving wife married to a deceitful man named Iemon.

Despite their their poverty, Oiwa was happy with Iemon, while Iemon was tiring of Oiwa. Eventually, an opportunity presents itself to marry a wealthy woman named Oume. Iemon need only get rid of Oiwa.

So Iemon decides to poison Oiwa. The poison works, so much as it disfigures Oiwa's face, making her eye sag, her skin bleed, and her hair fall out, but it does not kill her.

There are various descriptions of how Oiwa died. In one version Iemon pays a man to seduce Oiwa so he can divorce her, but due to her disfigurement, he cannot. He shows Oiwa her face in a mirror, and Oiwa is driven mad.

In an attempt to murder the man, Oiwa runs at him with a sword, but she falls and accidentally slits her own throat. With her dying breath she curses Iemon.

On Iemon's wedding day to Oume, he lifts his bride's veil, but instead of Oume, there stands Oiwa seething with rage. In fear, Iemon swings his sword and decapitates who he thinks is Oiwa, but instead Oume's head rolls at his feet.

Oiwa laughs and laughs.

Running home in horror, Iemon cowers until he hears a knock at the door. Answering it, there stands Oiwa. Again, Iemon swings his sword and decapitates who he thinks is Oiwa. This time, his father-in-law to be's head falls to his feet.

Oiwa's ghost, as well as Oume's and her father's ghosts chase after Iemon. He sees Oiwa's face everywhere. Finally, Iemon is driven mad and dies.

But, and here's the twist, Oiwa's ghost cannot be laid to rest. Her curse continues, supposedly to this day.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
A/N

A curse is supposed to touch anybody who tells her story (gulp). Even now there are stories of injuries, even death, befalling movies or theatrical productions telling her tale. In order to avoid Oiwa's wrath, it is recommended to visit Oiwa's grave -- yes she has an actual grave -- at a temple in Sugamo, Tokyo. Oiwa died on February 22, 1636.

I did not visit Oiwa's grave. I hope she will be merciful.