Chapter 1

Lyra opened her eyes and saw Pan next to her, her heart at once filled with joy and content. She couldn't believe that the last time she saw Pan it might of been her last. Now she was laying next to him, hugging him, she felt complete again.

Then she felt a hand reach across and touch her arm, at once she took in her surroundings. She didn't recognise the place she was in, it was a bedroom but she had never seen it before, she was laying in a bed that looked like it was made for a Queen. The hand however didn't belong to the Queen but to Mrs Coulter, the evil woman who Lyra had been running from for the past month or so.

Mrs Coulters face showed a woman that looked so solomen and sad and then she spoke. Just a word, well a name "Lyra.." She looked at Lyra and Lyra look at her, but not for long before jumping back and shouting "No! No! Don't you ever... Don't you ever, ever touch me!" As this was said her hand retracted and moved away from Lyra. Mrs Coulter looked shocked, she shook her head, looking on the verge of tears, "No one is going to hurt you, no one is ever going to hurt you." She said this in a calm soothing voice, sorta like the voice Lyra first heard when she first ever saw Mrs Coulter all the way back at Jordan. Mrs Coulter leaned forward, closer to Lyra as she was now on the far end of the bed, and she put a hand on her legs. As she did this Lyra spoke, "They did it to Billy and those other kids." Mrs Coulters face hardened and she started to look like the face Lyra has become to fear. "They cut their daemons away." Lyra stated. "Why?! Why are they doing that?" Lyra demanded.

Mrs Coulter looked at Lyra and nodded, then she got up off the bed and started to walk around the room as she stared to explain. "I know it is difficult to understand but it's for their own good. It's just a little cut." She said, still looking like she was going to cry but she soon carried on "You listen, listen to me... A long, long time ago some of our ancestors made a terrible mistake... They disobeyed the authority and that is what made dust come into the world. And ever since then we have been sick, sick with dust but there is a way out." She paused again, she had walked around the length of the bed and was now on the side that Lyra was on, she sat down and looked at Lyra and continued "You see dust doesn't settle on innocent children. It's later when your daemon begins to settle, the dust begins to swarm all around us trying to work it's mischief and that is how children begin to have all sorts of nasty thoughts and unhappy feelings." Mrs Coulter stopped again but only briefly before carrying on. "But their is a way to stop it. A little cut. Then gone. Forever."

Lyra looked confused and then she felt the anger boiling up in her all over again. "But if it's so good... Why don't you do it yourself? Why din't you let them do it to me?!" Lyra questioned, feeling her courage build again.

Mrs Coulter looked at Lyra with a sense of honesty and annoyance. "Let me tell you something. Something very important, something you don't know..." Not knowing if this was going to be another one of her mind games, her tricks, Lyra decided to prepare for what Mrs Coulter was about to say to her. "Intercision isn't perfect yet, and your not just anyone Lyra. Your mother didn't die in an airship accident as you were told. She wasn't married to your father and eventhough... Eventhough she loved you very much... And she wanted to keep you... It wasn't allowed... And so you was taken from her...And it wasn't until things changed, that she was free to do as she wanted that... That she went to Jordan College and she spoke to the Master..." Before she could finish the sentence Lyra inturupted "No! You can't be!" Lyra got up and walked away from the bed and to the other side of the room trying to take in what she had just pieced together. Mrs Coulter didn't follow her, she just sat there. Her daemon, the Golden Monkey, tried to stop Lyra but she put a hand up to him to stop him. "Yes Lyra... Your mine...And your safe with me..." As Mrs Coulter said this she got up from the edge of the bed and walked towards Lyra, who was standing near a chair, where her coat and bag lay, Mrs Coulter still put one hand up to her daemon as to stop him advancing towards Lyra or Pan. "You'll always be safe with me." Mrs Coulter stated.

Lyra then turned around and decided to ask her new found mother some questions. "Whos my father?" She asked. Her mother didn't answer, then Lyra started to think. Her mind whirring. Then she clicked. "Lord Asriel? He's my father isn't he?" She asked Mrs Coulter. Mrs Coulter walked towards Lyra, they were both looking at each other. "Yes." She said. And she held Lyra in her embrace. It was the first time since she was a new born that she had been able to hold Lyra. She felt such happiness and joy just by holding her. She wanted to keep her there forever. Mrs Coulter now had the glistening of tears in her eyes. "Now Lyra, the Master of Jordan gave you something didn't he? He gave you an Alethiometre didn't he?" She took Lyra away from her embrace but still held her by the shoulders. "But you see... It wasn't his to give..."

Lyra looked at her mother. Her mothers deep blue eyes. They didn't look like normal eyes their was something sinister about them. At first you think you can trust her and you would give her anything but then when you look past the barrier you see the evilness beneath it. The evilness that is Mrs Coulter. "No!" Lyra screamed. As she screamed, Pan changed into bird form and flapped her wings at the Golden Monkey. He then clawed at his face and then Lyra ran. She grabbed her bag and coat and headed for the door, Mrs Coulter was trying to re gain focus and so was her deamon. Lyra ran. Out the door and down the corridor but hearing voices at the end of it she changed direction.She couldn't risk being seen and being taken back to that witch.