Chapter 1

I'm bored. That was the only thought running through my head at this point. I'm bored, and it's too cold to feel like summer. I'm sure I would have had more fun if my friend, Amanda, showed up, but she couldn't make it. Her little sister, Ellen, was here, but we weren't as close. She was two years younger than me, and at this age, that's a big difference.

Ellen and I were sitting at one of the many tables set up on the grass. The live band was playing music on the deck above us, but it was all old stuff that I didn't know. It's not like we were at a concert. We were just at the small country club in my town, Parkston. My family was a member of the club, so we came here often. The barbeques, plays, and dinners were fun, but I mostly just came to hang with friends and explore the golf course.

The sun was about to set, and there was usually a beautiful sunset, but I didn't feel like going to watch it. The cool breeze also made me just want to sit with my soda in hand. I was wearing a white tank top with a collared blue and purple button-up over it, skinny (-ish) jeans, and black flats. I'm not one for dressing up in silk dresses, but I was still cold in my shirt and pants. I was basically falling asleep when Ellen began speaking.

"You wanna grab something to eat?" she asked, noticing how I seemed distant.

"Maybe later, I'm not that hungry," I replied while taking a sip of my Sprite.

"You may not be, but I certainly am, so I'm going to get a burger or something," and with that, she jumped off her seat and plopped onto the uncut grass.

I should have stayed home, I thought, as the band decided to take a twenty-minute break. I took another sip of my soda and guessed that I should get up. As I stood, I felt the soreness and ache in my back and legs. I guess was sitting down way longer than I thought.

Although you couldn't see it with the clothes I was wearing now, I had a very toned body. I worked out every single day. One hundred pushups, squats, crunches, bicycles, you name it. I was only five foot, but you didn't want to pick a fight with me, most of the people in our small town knew that.

I looked around, but didn't see anyone I wanted to talk to. As I turned, the wind blew my hair into my face. I pushed it away with my free hand and I saw the most beautiful girl that I've ever seen.

She was very different-looking than me, although neither of us were unattractive. My hair was long, kind of straight, kind of wavy and black. Her hair was shoulder-length, extremely curly, and blonde. I was small, yet built and buff. She was taller and quite skinny. My eyes were a very dark brown. Her eyes were a bright blue. I was wearing pants and a shirt. She was wearing a small silky blue dress that fit her nicely. The only thing we seemed to have in common, was that we both looked bored.

I had to get to know this girl. I didn't usually have crushes, but whatever this feeling was that was bubbling inside me felt like one. She was sitting in the grass on a tiny hill a little ways away. Next to her was an older woman who looked about forty, probably her mother. I wanted to approach her, but just as I took a step towards her, a boy who looked about seventeen walked over and sat down next to her and put his arm around her. This boy had short spiky brown hair and he was tall and handsome. It wouldn't surprise me if they were dating. I hadn't realized I was staring at the two until Ellen spoke.

"They're friends of the Johnsons," she said. "They don't live close, and I've never seen them before, but I heard they were coming."

"Oh... Yeah, I didn't recognize them," I replied.

"The guy's cute, right? I believe his name is Eli."

I shot her a why-are-you-hitting-on-someone-who-is-already-taken look, but I don't think she got the message.

"What? He's too old for me anyways," she glanced back over at him for a second, then set her food on the table. A cheeseburger, fries, and an ice tea. She sat and began eating her burger, so I decided to sit too.

We sat in silence as she ate. I stole a couple fries here and there, but other than that nothing really happened. The band resumed playing, and about five minutes went by before I got my chance. Eli got up to go to the bathroom, get a drink, or maybe he just hated the music, whatever it was, it didn't matter because this was my chance. My chance to speak to her.

I got up without looking at Ellen. I heard her ask where I was going, and what I was doing, but she didn't bother to get up and stop me, so I continued walking. Just before I approached her, I looked around for Eli, who was nowhere to be found. So I sucked it up and walked over.