Come Home With Me

We sat there in silence for a few minutes. I could tell Adam was sizing me up, trying to see if I was being genuine. It made me sad to think that someone had given him a reason to not trust other people. I waited patiently, I knew he would not find any lies in my eyes so I held his steady gaze.

"You're the first person to ever care."

He didn't break the eye contact so I continued to hold his gaze,

"Besides my parents that is, but they don't know things get so bad."

I scooted a little closer and grabbed his hand gently, he smiled softly before tightening his hold on my hand.

"Why don't you tell them? Maybe they can help."

He looked at me skeptically,

"Yeah right Tommy."

I couldn't deny that he had a point but still,

"They would just worry more and I don't want that. Shit!"

He looked at his phone frantically, before jumping up and pulling me with him,

"What are you doing?"

He laughed a little,

"I forgot about my brother! We have to go find him. I'll give you a ride home?"

I laughed as we ran to the front of the school. With Adam's long ass legs I had trouble keeping up but somehow I managed to stay with him. When we got to the front of the building Adam tripped on the stairs. I reached from his arm trying to catch him but instead of being a help I went down with him. Luckily, it had been the last couple steps at the bottom of the staircase. We landed with an 'oomf'. Adam had somehow managed to roll over mid fall and took the blow on his back. He also managed to catch me. The breath had been knocked out of the both of us. When I finally had my breath back to normal I looked at Adam who's eyes were wide still.

"You okay?"

He looked at me, a small smile spreading across his lips,

"Great, actually."

I smirked,

"Who knew I'd be able to get you on your back so quickly."

I winked at him as a blush crept over his cheeks. I giggled before hugging him tightly. I smirked one last time and rolled off of him.

"Um, new boyfriend?"

I jumped up when I heard we were not alone, not that I was sure if we had actually ever been alone.

The kid looked amused and smug all at once.

"Hey, you're that Tommy Joe kid who stuck up to the asshole of a math teacher!"

I looked at Adam who was currently brushing off his pants and then proceeded to pop his back. He must have seen the confusion and nervousness in my eyes; he looked between me and the kid once before placing a hand on my back,

"Breathe baby, this is Neil."

I let out a breath I hadn't realized I was holding.

"Oh, um. Hey, yeah, I'm Tommy Joe."

Neil looked even more amused than he had a moment ago and maybe a bit proud.

"I'd like to shake your hand. That prick has been giving Adam shit since he showed up here. He didn't even know what to do with himself in my class. You've got quite the reputation going already."

I was taken aback, "Wow. I always knew bullies were cowards but I wasn't expecting a result like that."

Neil smiled and held out his hand, "Neil Lambert, nice to meet you. Oh and no sucking face when I'm around."

I heard Adam let out an exasperated sigh before punching Neil in the arm, "Shut up bitch."

I could not help but laugh making Adam stick his tongue out at me. I smiled at him,

"I think I like your brother."

Neil smirked, "Duh."

Adam rolled his eyes, "Come on asshole, unless you want to walk home."

Neil and I looked at each other, "Which one of us is he talking to?" I asked. Neil shrugged, "Both of you!" Adam yelled, already a few feet away from us. 

I laughed again and ran to catch up with Adam, jumping on him when I got close enough. He let out an OOMPH but managed to hold me up.

"You little shit!" I giggled and held tighter to his neck, "You know I'm awesome." He rolled his eyes but I saw a smile creeping onto his face. 

This is what I've been needing.