Hear My Heart Chapter Two

Start from the beginning

“Yeah, you wish!” I knew her too well to even think she was making a pass at me. Not since day one of our friendship, not that moment, and not ever. “So why don’t you get married or something?”

“You’re psychic, Sexy?”

“Psychic? What did I just say?”

“I am getting married.” The smile was still plastered on her face.

I was stunned.

“Well, why don’t you say something? Of course, I expect my sexiest friend to have a say on this.”

“Well. . .it’s about time. You’re not getting any younger.”

I didn’t know why I was remembering that now, even that small pause I had when she first announced she was getting married. I wasn’t against Max for Alex. There were many instances where Alex planned to introduce Max to me but thee were always some last minute things to do.

Alex was very proud of her boyfriend. She have shown me his picture many times before but his form never did register in my mind. I couldn’t even remember his face. If their wedding was not cancelled, I would have finally had the chance to meet Max in the flesh.

From what I had heard by now, Max was handsome. He was smart and was from a decent family. . . And yet, he was the perfect gentleman. Something was amiss, something smelled fishy. But just like any good friend, I kept my vibes to myself and threw Alex a reassuring nod of approval.

Hey, it was going to be her wedding. It was going to be her life. Back then, I didn’t object because I never had anything to show for it. I didn’t have any evidence, he didn’t have any motive, and I couldn’t find any fault with Max. After all, nobody walked over his best friend to say, “I don’t like him, he’s fishy.”

I never did believe in gut instincts. Or probably I did. But I never believed even I could have one. I would later learn I had instincts. And while Max wanted out of the relationship, the way Alex was taking it, I was so sure the decision wasn’t a mutual one.

Max was happy now. Alex, on the other hand, was in a disappearing act. She had vanished without a trace. Even her co-worker and college chum, London, didn’t know where she vanished.

I was starting to lose heart, was running out of ideas, and my patience was wearing thin. It was then that the idea of this place came to me.