Hear My Heart Chapter One

Chapter One

I emptied my glass before setting it down the table. I called the attention of the bartender and asked for another shot.

I roamed my eyes around the bar. My vision was slightly blurry. Maybe it’s because of the three shots of vodka I drank. I abhorred alcoholic drinks. But at this moment, Alcohol was my only company.

This was my first time in such a loud bar. There was a rock band singing and playing on stage. Aside from alcohol, I also loathed noise. I didn’t know how I got here. The only thing I remembered was that after I got dumped at my wedding by the guy I was supposed to marry, I was driving and eventually found myself in this place.

It wasn’t like I was in love with Max. I just thought I had found the perfect man to marry. We were both looking for someone to marry for convenience. Four hours ago was supposed to be our civil wedding. But Max ran away.

Our marriage ceremony just started when he stopped everything. He said he was in love with someone. Her name was Harper. So that meant Max would not be able to get his inheritance because Harper did not want to marry him. He chose love over wealth.

I shook my head. Ridiculous. I would never do such a thing. Money, unlike love, when cared for and handled well, will last for a very long time. There was no such thing as eternal love so no relationship lasts. There were married couples who only stay together because they have nowhere else to go but there is no longer love in their hearts anymore.

That was the reason why I did not believe in marriage. There was no point in it. Love was bound to vanish in no time at all. This was what I believe. That was also probably the reason why my inheritance was tied to a crazy proviso.

According to the last will and testament of my very rich grandfather – the father of my mother – I had to get married in six months time after his will was read, otherwise I won’t get any of it. My estranged grandfather wanted to play at my expense. He knew I wasn’t planning on getting married, ever.

Pappy had been married three times. He only had two children. Granny was his first wife. I never even spent a time with him. Maybe that’s why he didn’t care whether I get it or not.

I could not believe in the incredulity of the proviso. It was like giving with a price. At first, I wasn’t interested in it. I could live comfortably with my current assets. I won’t starve without it.

But as months passed, I changed my mind. It was a lot of money to lose, a huge textile company, a big rest house, and fifty million dollars. I would probably be very, very old and I still couldn’t have that much.

It was a lot of money. I would be filthy rich in just a tick. One measly marriage contract was all I needed, and a guy who would agree to a marriage of convenience. I thought I found it in Max, but in the end, he backed out.

Max was a lost. Besides being in the same situation as me, he was also a suitable husband. He was good-looking, smart and well-off. I was ready to be his wife.  But because of his backing out, my hope of getting filthy rich was gone.

Cursing him won’t do me any good. It just sucked how he left me on our wedding. I looked like a stupid fool. He wasted my time. Now, I only had a month to search for a man like him.

I stared at my drink. It was already half-empty. When I finish this, I was going to call my twenty-one year-old half brother, Jackson, to get me out of here. I didn’t think driving would be best in the condition I’m in.

Jackson was my father’s son with his third wife. I didn’t have any siblings with my mother. Her second marriage was a disaster, too. Eventually she got tired of marrying then divorcing so she was unmarried with her lover when they met a car accident.