Chapter 16

"I did everything I promised I would do." Helios told me fervently, his huge indigo eyes boring into mine. "The traitor is extremely clever. He probably found a healer before coming up to the sky; our scars disappear the closer we are to the sun. No weapons were found either."

"The gear." I replied coldly. "When we spoke of it, it didn't seem familiar to you."

The solstae prince looked pained. "It's a new war design by our armourers. The solstae's greatest weakness is our luminescence, and the heavy material conceals it perfectly. It wasn't due to be released till only recently, and my father only approved them last week."

"So the traitor had access to them before they were released, obviously."

Helios nodded grimly. "We searched all the personnel that had even the slimmest access to the suits. Every single one of them were cleared  - they all had alibis for the times you were attacked, and when all the faerie murders were occurring as well. He was nowhere to be found among our royal armourers."

I was silent. Of course I'd been right. The murderer was far too tricky and clever to be found out by his people. He'd never reveal himself willingly.

"You two almost done?" Apollo called. Helios and I glanced over. We were all in the shadow of the Tsingy rock formations; the sky far above us was grey and dreary, suiting the mood perfectly. Our squadron waited several feet away, seemingly paying no attention, but I knew their keen ears could pick up everything Helios and I were talking about. Apollo watched quietly, his back straight and his face polite.

"In a minute!" I called back. I turned back to Helios and spoke softly. "I guess there's nothing we can do about it for now."

"I suppose so." Helios was earnest, and he gently picked up my hand with his gloved ones. The material was slick and cool. "I promise Lilah, he will be found eventually - "

I pulled hard on his hands so that we were nearly nose to nose. The solstae blinked in surprise. Up close, it looked like stars were shifting under his delicate skin. I would've been entranced if I hadn't been coldly looking into his dark eyes.

"Don't make me anymore promises." I hissed icily. "Do you know what my gut is saying? It's saying that the murderer is someone no one will suspect, someone people would never dream of accusing. He's gotten away with this for so long, hasn't he? Now who better to pardon than the beloved prince of the solstae, a man who told me himself that he would give anything to have the earth as his home?"

There was a tense pause, and Helios eyes hardened. The colour looked almost black, and it clashed jarringly against his soft, glowing skin. "What are you accusing me of, Lilah Winters?" His voice was low and deadly.

"Nothing yet." I whispered harshly back. "I'm simply stating that something about you just doesn't sit right in my stomach. I'll be watching you."

Helios slowly reached up and pushed a stray lock of my hair out of my eyes. I was careful not to flinch. He'd get no weakness from me.

"Watch me carefully, dearest Lilah." Helios told me lowly, his voice soft and seductive. "You'll regret your bold statements soon enough."

And with that, he pushed away from me gruffly and strode to where the rest of our squadron was waiting. I followed silently, my eyes boring into the solstae's golden locked head.

"Are we ready to go?" Apollo touched my waist and rose an eyebrow. What's going on? He mouthed.

I shook my head at him before turning and seeking out Laen from the group. "Lead us to the river, please."

Of course." Laen nodded encouragingly at me. "Forward, men!"

The squadron began to trudge forward. Helios strode to the front of his group, his step as airy as ever as he pulled his smoke coloured hood on. I headed towards the right flank of the group, where Apollo was lightly traipsing with a thin, silver sword in his hand, but Laen's gentle hands held me back. I looked up at him questioningly.