Chapter 38

Elaborate mansions with sparkling, snow-covered lawns lined the streets of Elsinore, giving the city the impression of a wealthy winter playground. All of the buildings were ornately decorated, though none so much as Kanti's ice castle. Everyone dressed lavishly. The styles were unfamiliar to Valerie, but she could see that the rich fabrics were covered in lace and sewn in golden thread.

The sight of so much finery was dazzling as she rushed through the streets with Kanti, who wasn't distracted in the least by the sights, even when a bird settled on her shoulder and started talking in her ear. "Princess Kanti, you're back!" But Kanti shook the bird off, and the little creature flew away.

"What was that all about?" Valerie asked, wide-eyed.

"Bad news. Those birds carry gossip around the city. News of my return will circulate in a matter of minutes. We need to get that charm and get out of here. If Zunya and his crew didn't know where we were before, they'll find us now for sure."

Finally, they stopped at a building that had four stone gargoyles on the roof that stared down menacingly at any visitors. This foreboding manor seemed out of place with the opulent, sparkling houses they had passed by earlier. Kanti lifted a heavy knocker, and the boom was thunderous as it crashed against the door.

A wizened old man with glasses as big as saucers eventually opened the door. His gray eyes brightened when he saw Kanti, and he gave her a quick hug. Then he hurried them inside, glancing around the street before he shut the door.

When the door closed, the air around the man blurred, and he morphed into a tall woman with long, dark hair that was streaked with silver. Valerie gaped, and the woman laughed deeply.

"Valerie, this is my Aunt Ani."

"Call me Ani, PLEASE. My, child, you are SO puzzled. Haven't you ever seen a glamour disguise before?" Ani said. She spoke strangely, overemphasizing some of her words. It made everything she said sound SO dramatic.

"No, she's from Messina. So it's all pretty new," Kanti jumped in. Then she explained to Valerie, "Ani bought a disguise from the Glamour Guild a few years ago so that she could go out and about in Elsinore without being recognized."

"It gets so DREADFULLY dull talking gossip and going to parties all day," Ani said with a dramatic flourish of her hand. "But no one bothers me when I'm disguised as old Iago. SO much fun to see what people REALLY think. But unless I'm much mistaken, you're here for MORE than a friendly visit."

"We need a protection charm for someone on Earth."

"More of your Imaginary Friends' GUILD work, dear? Of course, those charms are very expensive, even for YOU."

Kanti hastily handed Ani the small pouch that she had taken from her bedroom. Valerie examined it more closely and saw that it was moving, as if something was squirming around inside. Ani peeked in the pouch and raised her eyebrows.

"I never needed to spend the allowance my parents gave me. There's nothing here I ever want to buy, and there is no currency in Arden," Kanti said.

"What's inside?" Valerie asked, a little worried. Whatever was in that bag churned like it wanted to get out.

"It's magic. That's the currency around here," Kanti explained. "The best kind—it can be used for any purpose."

"VERY rare," Ani added. "I accept. Wait here."

Ani walked down the hall and into another room, and they heard her rummaging through some drawers. She came back, blowing dust off of a crystal so pure that it was almost invisible. Only the light glinting off its surface indicated that it was a real, solid object. Ani dropped it into Kanti's hand.