Valerie saw Azra glance at Chern, and she sensed that Azra didn't want to speak of what had happened in his presence. It made sense, Valerie reasoned, because Chern might let something important slip in a moment of panic, and the wrong person could overhear. So she repressed all of her burning questions for Azra about the prophecy for now, but she hoped she wouldn't have to wait much longer.

Valerie, Cyrus, and Kanti trudged back to the dorm, exhausted from everything that they had been through and dreading Dulcea's scolding.

"The real question is, what do we do now?" Valerie asked, as much to herself as to her friends. "Waiting around for Azra to get back is not going to help Henry."

"I'm outta ideas," Cyrus sighed. "That's the problem with prophecies. They're never straightforward. For once, how about a simple 'Henry's living at 222 First Street, Oakland, California'?"

"I still can't believe he's your brother!" Kanti exclaimed.

Hearing Kanti call Henry her brother brought the joy of the discovery rushing back—she really had a brother, joined to her by DNA. She was dazed by the news. "For so long, I thought I'd never have a family. Now I have a brother! Do you think he's older or younger than me?"

A strange look passed over Kanti's face. "I wonder... Valerie, when's your birthday?"

"April 5th, why?"

Kanti turned pale, and her eyes filled with a strange glitter. "Your Henry and my Henry are the same after all! His birthday was April 5th, too."

"Twins," Cyrus said, awe in his voice.

"That means all this time he's been alive," Kanti said, and her eyes filled with tears. "If I only knew. I could have stopped Sanguina, or helped him understand what was happening."

They had reached the outside of their dorm, and Valerie gripped the railing on the staircase. A piece of a puzzle fit into place. Not having a family had always torn Valerie apart inside, as if a piece of herself was missing. With Henry in her life, maybe she would finally be whole.

Before Valerie could respond to Kanti's revelation, a thin man with hollow cheeks and sunken eyes who was walking down the empty street stopped in his tracks. He paused, and then met Valerie's eyes. Her heart seemed to slow down, and she clutched her chest, unable to breathe. Yellow-Eyes had found her. Again. Sanguina wouldn't be far behind.

"Val? What's wrong?" Cyrus said, trying to shake her out of her trance.

She tried to tell him, but her breath hitched as she struggled for air. Yellow-Eyes smiled slowly at her, and said, "Found you."

A girl passing him in the street gasped when she saw his face and ran away, screaming for help.

"We need to get inside, NOW," Cyrus said, yanking Valerie's arm. But she couldn't stop staring into his yellow eyes. Being this close to him in person, something incalculably precious drained from her. It was her magic, and something more. She stumbled to her knees. Kanti and Cyrus struggled to help her to her feet.

"This is no place for you," Midnight's voice rang out clearly as she crossed the street. "We've been tracking you since you arrived in Silva. Did you think we wouldn't notice?"

Yellow-Eyes turned away from Valerie toward Midnight, and Valerie sagged with relief, some of her energy returning with a rush.

"You've been tracking me for decades, yet here I am," Zunya sneered. "And you know what happens to those who get too close."

Midnight's eyes flashed with a bottomless rage. "I think you'll find that I'm ready for you."

Valerie felt the hum of magic, and a high-pitched sound pierced the air. Yellow-Eyes stumbled back a step and his hand involuntarily went to his head.