"Ok, I don't really have to. But the music's supposed to be live and really good. And I want to go. With you."

I feel shivers up my spine for multiple reasons. "I....don't know."

"Think of it as a favor. I'm supposed to bring a plus one. These things are pretty dry usually and I could use the company."

"This isn't like one of your friends parties, right?"

"No, it'll be completely different, I promise. You might like it. We'll be there for an hour, tops."

"I don't know, Luke. Why don't you just take someone else as a plus one?"

He pauses. "I don't want to take someone else."

Now it's my turn to pause. I stop walking and pull away from the phone, looking up and wondering why I'm stupid enough to even contemplate saying yes. But something about Luke makes me want to.

"Ok, I'll go."

"Thank you. You'll get an email soon about the details. The event itself shouldn't take too long, really. I'll have you back to your dorm by 10."

"Wait, wait! What am I supposed to wear? Are jeans okay?"

"No, no. Wear a dress or something. Something nice."

I take a moment to picture my closet. "Okay....I can probably pull something together."

"Great. The driver will pick you up at 8."

***

I scrounge around my dorm looking for spare change I know isn't there and ultimately, dip into my stash of saved spending cash so I can buy a dress. There's a Goodwill nearby and I have enough money on my Metrocard to get there and come back.

While I'm fumbling around my bag for my keys so I can lock the door, I find a dollar nestled at the bottom and figure maybe I can use the extra to buy a new bracelet.

Something nice.

LUKE

"Hey, where's your lighter?" Ashton calls out from the kitchen.

"Um, it should be on the counter."

"Found it."

He walks back in and I eye my suit and tie that Nilda laid out on the couch.

Ashton holds the lighter up to the weed that's in my small, blue-green, glass pipe that I bought back when we were sophomores.

"So did you ask her?"

"Yeah, I called."

"What'd she say?"

"She said yes."

Ashton breathes out and laughs. "Seriously?"

He mutters under his breath. "You think she'd learn."

"What do you mean?" I ask.

"Forget about it." He takes another hit and gestures towards me, asking if I want some. I don't and he leans against the counter, toying with the pipe. "This idea is so fucking stupid."

"It's just a benefit event. It's not like it really means shit."

"Yeah right."

"I go in, people don't even need to see who I came with. I go in, they see I came with a plus one, I make small talk with some of my father's business associates, I go out."

"And your new little toy just sits around while you kiss ass and make more money?"

"Fuck you."