Chapter 5- Reality Sets In- pt2

Start from the beginning

“We’re almost there. I used to come to this place a lot when I was a boy. I think you’ll absolutely fall in love with it.” Nickolas glanced back and smirked at Kaydence.

“What makes you so sure? You know next to nothing about me, no offense.” Kaydence didn’t intend on coming off as rude but who was he to assume he knows anything about her especially given how little he really knew about her.

“Perhaps you’re right and perhaps you’re wrong.” Again Nickolas smirked back devilishly towards Kaydence and his arrogance was what started to get on her nerves.

They continued walking along the trail for another ten minutes or so when Nickolas came to a standstill. “Close your eyes.” Nickolas ordered.

Kaydence looked at him and her curiosity was enough to stop any other unnecessary comments from escaping her mouth, for once she did as she was told and closed her eyes. She heard rustling of branches and she could smell a cool breeze and gentle movement of water. If he tossed her into the water as some sort of prank, she would be livid.

“Alright, follow me and when I stop then open your eyes.” Nickolas made Kaydence walk another five or six steps and now Kaydence could hear the sound of water running and splashing more clearly.

When Nickolas came to a standstill, Kaydence’s eyes flew open and her jaw dropped. There was nothing that she could say to express how she felt at this exact second. Nickolas looked at her and smiled feeling very much accomplished. He continued to pull her closer.

A pond surrounded by giant stones, the stars and moon reflected in the water and illuminated the entire forest. Trees that were mountains high reached into the midnight sky. There was small bouts of lights shimmering and twinkling around until one of them landed on her hand. A firefly sat there and seemed satisfied just sitting there, this caused Kaydence to giggle. She was in total awe.

“We’re not all the way there yet, we need to follow the stream.”  Nickolas wore a childish look of excitement on his face as he pulled her deeper into the forest, following the stream to where the sound of water overtook the peace and quiet.

“This is just like-” Kaydence’s voice seemed to fail her, even the pond and stream were identical to what was described in “The Borderlands.” that her father used to read to her.

“The Borderlands, I know.” Nickolas opened another clearing and Kaydence noticed an even bigger body of water but there was a tiny waterfall. It was totally enclosed by all sorts of trees and plants and flowers.

“How is this possible?” Kaydence reached down to touch the petals of the lilies that lined the small edge of the stream. Nickolas leaned down and pulled out of the lilies out of the earth and handed it to Kaydence.

“C.R Gregarious used to live in the Mainland when he wrote the book. My caretaker read it to me religiously when I was a boy then when I was a teenager, scavenging about I stumbled across this place which had to be the same place he wrote about.” Nickolas paused and let out a small laugh.

“When Aries was called out, I saw the painting in the corner of your room which held much similar features to this place and I could only assume-” Nickolas was cut off by Kaydence who leaped up onto Nickolas and hugged him with all her might.