Chapter 1 Mislead

Chapter 1 Mislead

One simple word seemed to secure her fate, there was no going back for Kaydence. After she'd sign some privacy disclosure agreement, Kaydence sat in the bakery wondering why she'd even agreed to this in the first place. Nickolas was apparently one of the prince's mates who'd been doing some of the interviewing and reassured her that the prince would hear her out.

Kaydence cringed. 'Assuming he doesn't lock me up for not showing loyalty to my crown.'  

Kaydence had to nip those thoughts in the bud, she was going to the Mainland to tell the prince exactly what she thought of him. She owed it to herself and her family. Nobody ever spoke to her about her father's death but Kaydence knew it was the King's irrational mind that led to the death of the best doctor in the country. Kaydence's father was the best of his trade. In Beltane, which in comparison to the Mainland was practically a village with no more than  three thousand for population. Kaydence's father Arthur was the only medical physician on the island. Swept away shortly after Kaydence's birth, called upon by the King himself as his Queen was giving birth to their son- the prince.

The queen's death through childbirth was common and the King was quick to blame Kaydence's father, sentencing him to death. Nobody had ever seen him again and as Kaydence's mother grew more ill and poverty swept them up, she sent Kaydence to live with her grandmother to work at the bakery. The prince's life in exchange for her father's. Leaving Beltane with only mediocre care and the poverty line going up along with the taxes had Kaydence's heart hardening with every day that passed.

'For my father and my village. I will meet the Prince, I will convince him the errors in the laws and I will make a change for us all.' Kaydence nodded as she continued to pack her belongings in a suitcase.

A hair brush made out of silver with a gold trim bearing her mother's initials, A stopwatch that belonged to her father- the very one that was used during her own birth. Her first teddy bear that she befriended as a child Mister Mocha who gave her courage in her most frightening hours, along with the nicest gown she owned and slippers.

"Nana, my ride will be here shortly to escort me to the dock." Kaydence smiled looking into the kitchen at her grandmother who continued to bake.

"My little Kaydy going to meet the prince." She laughed with a twinkle in her eye.

"He won't help but fall in love with you, I've always said you were a little princess." She babbled on before Kaydence placed a kiss on her cheek and waited for the car to arrive.

****

Nickolas had been blown away by Kaydence's ferocity. If her beauty hadn't been enough, her spirit made him feel more alive just being in the same room with her. She was certainly a gem in the dirt, only hopefully she'd stick around once she'd realize how he had deceived her. She may leave and Nickolas would not be able to stop her if she did, only he hoped she'd stick around. He wanted to get to know her.  Nickolas hadn't intended on any sort of emotional connection, sexual was always what he'd been looking for. Standing at the bow of the fairy staring off into the sea towards the little island that had changed his life.

"Sir we have twenty confirmed subjects that will be escorted to the Mainland and settled within the next 48 hours." The royal adviser checked his papers then glanced back towards Nickolas.

"Good, make sure they are settled in and comfortable. Myself and the others will arrive shortly thereafter to explain things more in detail." Nickolas nodded before staring back off into the haze that hid that beautiful island.

***

Kaydence had never been on the Faery before in her life, she never dreamed of going to the
Mainland and it hadn't been on her to-do list either. She found herself surrounded with nineteen other women. She sat on a bench from afar as she watched them converse and giggle with anticipation, apart of her wanted to be excited but the only excitement she hoped for was being able to see Nickolas again because she had to admit there was something about him that drew in her curiosity. None of the other village boys ever really appealed to her, and she'd never really had time for friends. Working in the Bakery consumed most of her time and what free time she did have she spent painting and singing. Her two favourite things to do, mother had taught her to play piano and sing and she was good at it. However, it was the painting that freed her from her life.