Chapter 50- Lots of Stories

Start from the beginning

"I would have brought flowers, but I don't know what kind you like, and I didn't know if that was a little too much." Adam says, walking pass the threshold and entering the house.

I release a small chuckle, shaking my head as I closed the door, "No you don't need to do that." I tell him, motioning him to follow me to the kitchen. "I was just about finishing up. Just a couple of minutes. You let spaghetti and meatballs?" I ask, who doesn't love spag and meat!?

"My favorite meal actually." He laughs, "Here, want me to hold Colton while you finish up?" He offers, holding his hands out for me to pass him along.

"Sure, yeah that would be great. You don't mind?" I babble, carefully passing Colton to him.

"Not at all." He says with a smile on his face, bouncing Colton around, "Who wouldn't want to hold a handsome baby like him?"

My grandmother. I thought bitterly. "He's a really good baby. He only wakes me up two times in the night now." I say happily, slowly stirring the sauce with the pasta.

"Wow, impressive little fella." Adam gasps, making subtle faces to get a smile out of Colton.

"I'm going to put him down for a nap while we eat. It's just about time he sleeps." I tell him, grabbing two plates from the cabinets.

"Aw, sorry buddy you can't stay for the party." Adam tells Colton as if he can understand. I chuckle, putting some pasta on the plate for him.

"Here, I'll switch with you. Food for my baby." I tell Adam as I set his plate on the table with a beverage glass.

"That's a pretty solid deal." He chuckles as well giving me Colton back. "You're going to eat too, right?" He says sitting down.

"Yeah I'll eat with you. I'm just going to put Colton down. I'll be back down in a moment." I tell him exiting the room. Colton is easy to put down for a nap, all I had to do was rest him in his crib and he'd be out like a light in the matter of minutes. I joined Adam downstairs, making my own plate and grabbing the cheese and iced tea from the fridge. "Any good?" I question, commenting on the food.

"I love a good burger, but nothing beats a home cooked meal, and my favorite one of all." He comments, nodding his head in delight, "Really, Paisley, thank you. This is the nicest thing someone has done for me since I got here."

"Not a problem! I enjoy cooking." I tell him, taking the first bite of my food, "So, how has your day been going?" I ask politely, pouring him some iced tea. We chatted and ate. Even when I offered dessert we kept on talking. We just couldn't seem to stop asking question about each other and getting to know one another on a better level.

Adam as always, being kind and polite, which is a refresher. It's easy to be around him, and easy to talk to him. Yet of course there was that one question that I still hadn't asked, and I wanted to know before he left. Of course with my history with guys in telling me stuff isn't so high, so I figured my chances were incredibly low. As conversation seemed to die down, pausing and making silly little comments, I figured it was perfect timing to ask my question. I didn't know how much longer he was going to stick around for, but I didn't want him to go. I enjoyed his company way too much.

"So what's your story?" I ask timidly, folding my used napkin into a triangle as a distraction.

"What do you mean? I don't have a story." He say with an awkward chuckle.

"Sure you do. Everyone does." I say with a shrug as if it were obvious, "Especially those who move all the way to a small town in North Carolina. So who-or what- are you running from?" I question.