Four: Kick Ass Like a Bad Ass

Start from the beginning

She followed him into the building and she stared in aww. The building was so . . . Fancy. And for some reason it made her feel like Cooper was out of her league. And maybe he was. But like every hopeless girl she could try, right?

Whoa, whoa, I am not into Cooper, she told herself, I'm just . . . Wondering.

At the front desk sat a receptionist. She glanced up and smiled at Cooper, then her eyes landed on Gretal. Gretal thought she would die right there and then.

"Hey, Candace, this my adorable friend, Gretal." Cooper said, placing his hand on the small of her back.

Gretal remembered reading something that said that when guys put their hands on a girl's back they're trying to be protective. (It was from a school project, don't ask.) Aww, how cute, he's trying to protect me. Eww, wait, no. Wait, aww, wait, no.

"Hi," Gretal waved.

Candance shot her an angry look, then returned back to her computer. Gretal followed him to the elevator and once the doors slid closed she turned to him. "She really isn't friendly, isn't she?"

Cooper grinned at her. "Sometimes, I mean, she's nice to me, but I thought you two would get along-"

"Well, you were wrong." No wonder she acts like a cold-hearted bitch. She has the hots for Doyle.

Gretal crossed her arms and narrowed her eyes, glaring at her reflection. Cooper watched her, a smirk growing.

"Y'know," he said, "if you're jealous you can just tell me."

She snorted, rolling her eyes. "Don't flatter yourself, Doyle."

"I don't have to since you do the job for me."

"Oh, that's it-"

Bing.

The doors slid open and Cooper walked out, pulling Gretal after him. Around them was hundreds of desks with employees filing and calling.

Cooper lead her to a room in the back of the hall. And once Gretal entered she was greeted by the dazzling view of the city.

"Wow." She said, mesmerized.

Cooper nodded, smiling. "Yeah, I know."

Gretal glanced at him to see that he was sitting at his own desk. She walked toward him and watched as he took a file out.

"These are all the photos I took of superheroes around Brooklyn . I haven't got the major ones, like Spider-Man or anything. But I did get some known ones."

He pushed the photos to her and Gretal studied them all. From the superhero Muse, a woman who had the power to muse you and control your mind; to Magnetic Girl, who had the power to control metal (obviously); to Beatrix, who had the power of illusion. And then there was Electric, who in the photo was shooting sparks of electricity at a glob-monster. What a world.

"They're good. And you got all the best shots." Gretal said.

Cooper nodded and spun around in his chair. "But, there's someone I still need. Like you said, Electric might have a sidekick. And I plan on getting her picture."

She froze, blood turning cold. "Um, well, good luck. Doesn't look like she shown her face yet."

"True."

Gretal hummed. "Oh, look at the time. I should get going. I-I gotta go to work. Bye."

"At least let me walk you there," Cooper interjected.