Chapter 7

I'd begun to think that Patrick had forgotten about me. I stood next to that pole in the ground for a solid hour, alone. There was a pattern, I noticed. As soon as he's out of my sight, I can't stand the thought of him. Then, when I see him again, I'm convinced that I - at least - like him.

I was the only one left in the venue. Countless times, a security guard would approach me and ask me to leave. I'm still here though, still waiting for a Patrick Stump that likely won't come for me.

There was a door slam from behind the stage. Loud sobs were muffled by the wood, but audible from the seats in the crowd. I peeked my head over to try and see what was back there.

My curiosity got the best of me. I climbed up the stairs to the stage and walked up to the dressing room door. I caught a short girl with curly brown hair out of the corner of my eye. Her fists clenched up at her hips as she stormed up to me.

"Who the hell are you?" she said with disgust.

I felt my face get hot, "I-I'm Emerald, Patrick's friend. Have you seen him?"

The woman rolled her eyes and snickered. She laid her forehead on her arm, leaning against the door, shouting, "Nice rebound pretty boy!"

The cries from behind the door had stopped suddenly. "Emerald?" Patrick's voice asked. He pressed his body up against the door and tried to push it open.

I was quite a bit taller than this girl and did my best to look mean and scary. "Open the door," I commanded.

"Aww, good try," she pouted her lip and frowned. She backed away from the door and gave it a quick look up and down.

The knob jiggled and then shook wildly, "Elisa! Do not lay a finger on her or I swear-!"

"Oh please," she barked back at him, "You're not man enough to try anything on me."

I looked at the girl I despised of for years. She was the girl who stole Patrick's heart and I always hated her for it. He deserved so much better than her. His big heart didn't come in handy this time, especially not today.

"That's where you're wrong," I growled, "It's because he's so good of a man that he doesn't try to hurt you."

"Em... Just go to the car. Don't fight my battles for me," Patrick begged.

"Please..." Elisa snapped, "What has a crippled girl have on me?"

That pushed me just enough over the edge. I quickly grabbed her with both of my hands and shoved her hard. She fell pretty hard on her bottom and a good distance away. Still, it would only buy me so much time.

I didn't have a key, I realized too late, looking down at the door. My hands planted on the wood and I desperately tried to turn the knob.

A pair of hands took my shoulders and wrestled me to the ground. I yelped, more in fear in the first place, then the pain set in.

"Stop! Elisa! Please! Don't hurt her!" Patrick cried, pounding violently. It tugged at my heart strings and also fueled me.

I kicked Elisa just enough to get her off of me and stood back up on my feet. My straightened hair was now all in my face. I pushed it back behind me along with heavy breaths.

"Is it really worth it?" I asked her, not realizing how terrible it sounded until it was already out of my mouth.

Elisa softened, even smiled a bit, "Not bad... Good luck with him."

Dark specks flew around my eyes and I hugged the wall, skirting the edges until I reached the door.

"Patrick?" I asked for his attention, "She's gone."

"Oh my god, Emerald... Are you alright?" he heaved. I could feel him through the door.

I glanced down at my leg, numbed with pain, "I'll be fine," I lied, "How do I get the door open?"

"There's a key next to the audio system backstage to your left," he directed me.

I bit back all that I could. A few low groans pushed through my tightly pressed lips as I reached the key and clutched it in my hand. It fit through the door and Patrick pulled it open.

My body fell into his arms and he dragged me over to the black leather couch in his dressing room. Looking up into his eyes, it was like the first day we met. It was like I was back in the emergency room, breathing labored breaths in and out; only because he was there.

He was sticky and sweaty, but I hardly minded. His wild green eyes stared into mine and his hand kept my head up just enough to see them.

"Em... I'm so," he bit his lip and blinked a new round of tears out of his eyes, "I'm so so sorry. This is all my fault."

"Shut up..." I tell him and push out a laugh, "I'll be fine. Just give me a minute to catch my breath."

Patrick pulled my body up against him as he tried to regain his own breath. I brought a shaky hand over him and closed my eyes, allowing him to completely engulf me in a hug. It worked to calm the both of us down.

"I didn't mean for you two to run into each other like that..." he continued to apologize.

"I know," I told him.

"She watched the show and wanted to talk. It's just not the same between us anymore and it ended in a heated argument. I should've ignored her and went straight out to get you. I'm such an idiot..." his jaw bounced with every word he said on my head.

"I know," I repeated. He giggled, pulling away from me with a smile on his face. I smiled back at him. A real smile.

"Em..." he looked away for a minute and put on a serious face.

"You don't need to ask," I said and pulled his tie until our lips met together. He instantly smiled through the kiss and deepened it, once again cradling the back of my head. It was just how I imagined it years ago. I fantasized over these lips for too long. The right words to explain how it felt haven't been invented yet. 'Amazing' doesn't even come close.

Patrick Stump is an extraordinary man and an insanely good kisser.