Thirty \\ What Three Things?

Start from the beginning

      Stiles looked from Derek to Liam, "Alpha, beta, omega."

      "It represents the idea that we can always rise to one and fall back to another. Betas can become alphas."

      "Alphas can become betas," Stiles said.

      "Can alphas become omegas?" Liam asked, his heart pounding.

      "My father did," Koda said. "All can fall to another."

      "But all you have to do is say the three words," he told Liam. "And with each one, you tell yourself you're getting calmer, more in control. Go ahead."

      Liam clenched his teeth, "Alpha, beta-"

      "Slower," Derek instructed.

      "Alpha...beta...omega." Liam groaned, pain coursing through his body. "Alpha...beta...omega."

      "Good. Say it again," Derek told him. "Remember, every time you say toe words, you're getting calmer." 

      "Alpha...beta-"

      Stiles pulled his legs up as Liam started to growl. "Whoa, whoa."

      "Alpha-"

      "Derek," Stiles flooded with concern as Liam got worse. "I don't think that powerful talisman of self-control is working."

      "Liam, say it again!" said Derek forcefully.

      "Shit," Koda said as Liam growled with a full shift in sight. She swerved, trying to keep the van upright as Liam roared and shook the cabin. "Liam!"

      Liam pulled up, snapping one of the handcuffs off.

      "I think we're gonna need to go a little faster!" Stiles yelled over the chaos.

      "Keep going!" Derek shouted to Koda, fending off Liam as his other cuff broke free.

      "We're almost there!" Dakoda called out, both Stiles and Derek holding back the werewolf. "Liam! Liam, what's mine and Brett's mantra?"

      Liam growled, her words not reaching the back.

      "I don't really think 'alpha, beta, omega' is resonating with him," Stiles said, dodging Liam's claws.

      "You know any other mantras?" Derek sharply asked.

      "Liam!" Koda grabbed the beta's attention. "What are the three things that cannot long be hidden?"

      Liam snarled, lunging at Derek.

      "Liam, Liam!" Stiles took over, letting Koda drive. "Liam, look at me! What three things cannot long be hidden? What three things?"

      "Sun..." Liam spoke through pants, "the moon...the truth."

      It was working.

      "That's it," Koda praised, constantly glancing over her shoulder. "Say it again."

      "Sun, the moon, the truth."

      "We're okay," Derek said to Dakoda, Liam's shift vanishing from sight.

      Koda grinned, wheeling into the confines of La Iglesia. "Atta boy."

      "I can't believe I did it," Liam said as the van stopped. He laughed, "For a minute there I thought I was going to tear you two apart."

      "Yeah," said Stiles. "That would've made for an awkward ride home. So, thanks."

      "Think you can bring the same level of control and strength inside La Iglesia?" Derek asked.

      And on completely purpose, Liam exposed his claws.

      Koda smiled, "We might actually be able to do this."

      Derek stood, opening the back door. He took in a deep breath, a berserker suddenly yanking him out of the van.

      Dakoda swore heavily, grabbing a shotgun from behind her and leaping out of the truck. She shot off nearly every round, chasing it away from Derek. She ran over to him, dropping her gun. "Derek, Derek-"

      He coughed, blood arising on his lips, a deep cut penetrating through his stomach.

      "How bad is it?"

      "I'm fine, I'm fine." Derek struggled, his body rejecting Koda's attempt to heal him. "Just go get Scott. Just find him. We'll be right behind you. Go. Go!"

      Peter went off first, Liam and Malia following.

      Stiles didn't go as easily, his eyes on Derek.

      "Hey," Derek spoke directly to Stiles, "hey, save him."

      Stiles got to the entrance of the church before looking over his shoulder.

      And somehow, he felt that was the last time he'd see Derek.

      Tears started forming at Koda's eyes as she tried to heal him. "It's not working. Why isn't it working?"

      Derek laughed lightly, "Lydia was right."

      "Don't say that, please don't say that."

      Derek put a hand over one of hers, moving it away from his wound. "It's okay," he whispered.

      "Damn it, no it's not!" She wiped under her eyes with the back of her hand. "Can you still pull a trigger?"

      "Yeah," Derek said through a strained breath.

      "Babe, stay with me." She placed her .45 in Derek's hand. "You're gonna be okay."

      "It's a mortal wound," he said, "and right now, I'm feeling pretty normal."

      "There is no way in hell I'm going to let you die. We've gone through too much-" She lifted her eyes, a growl echoing in the distance. 

      "Yeah, you might just have to concentrate on saving yourself."

      "I'll be right back." Koda stood, her heart pounding as she jogged over and jumped onto a platform. With her back against it, she breathed before checking around the corner. She exchanged a look with Derek before angling around again.

      And out of the fog came Kate Argent and a pet berserker.

      "Shit," Koda muttered before flipping off the ledge and emptying her rifle in a parade of open fire. She tossed it to the side, yanking out twin pistols and firing them both off at the enemy. Running out with no luck, she dropped them to the desert ground and clenched her fists.

      When the berserker charged, so did Dakoda.

- only one moooore - Mel xxx