Chapter Sixteen

Florence:

It had been a while since that night at Eric's and what was said was pushed to the back of my mind. I only had two months or so left with Eric before he finished high school for good and went off to college. We hadn't spoken about that yet, nor did I want to either. Thins went on pretty normal, Eric and I went out a lot (even though he seemed a bit more cooler with me than usual), I went out with friends, school was busy, everything was the way it usually was.

One Saturday evening, I texted Eric to ask if he wanted to do something but he took quite a while to reply which was unusual.

Eric: Sorry Flo, I'm busy. I can't.

Hmm, okay then, I thought and called Charlotte.

"Hi." She said when she picked up.

"Hiya, feel like doing anything tonight. I'm bored."

"I'm going out with Evan tonight –but you can come too?" she sounded enthusiastic but god knows I would rather sit here and look at the four walls of my bedroom than go out with my friend and her boyfriend.

"Oh no, it's fine really. I'll find something else to do." I was sorry I asked now.

"No, Evan won't mind. I promise, we're going to the movies. It will be great!" she always seemed so happy and upbeat ever since she and Evan started seeing each other. It was great to see her like that! But I had to decline the offer again, even though Evan was really nice and all.

"I don't want to third wheel."

"Nonsense girl, be ready by nine." She said with finality in her voice before hanging up on me. Third wheeling it is then! I thought.

We went out at nine, just like Charlotte had said. I heard Evan beeping outside my house while I was finishing off getting ready and flew down the stairs, grabbing my things and saying goodbye to my dad before I went on my way.

"Hello Florence. I haven't seen you in a while, where have you been hiding?" Evan was his usual friendly self.

"Under the rock I came from, I really need to start going out more and getting new friends so I can stop third wheeling with you two guys." My comment caused them both to laugh as I shut the back door of the car and we got going.

It wasn't awkward like I thought it would be, Charlotte and Evan didn't seem to mind me being there. We were queuing up for our tickets when I saw a familiar face in the corner of my eye. I turned my head slightly. Is that Eric? I thought to myself. I was right, it was Eric. He was standing there, looking gorgeous in a raglan t-shirt that was tight enough to show off his muscular and athletic frame but not too tight and jeans. His hair was done nicely; like he only got it cut and he seemed to be waiting on someone but who? He checked his watch but didn't look in my direction. I didn't want the others to see him so I decided not to look in his direction.

We eventually got our tickets and snacks and then went inside to find our seats. My eyes searched around for Eric, hoping he hadn't come to the same movie as us but my eyes settled on his familiar face but he couldn't see her in the dark. Her eyes followed him as he walked up the stairs and trailed down to his left hand where he was holding another's.

My heart sank a little in my chest when I realized who it was. It was Chloe.

They both go into their seats just a few rows in front of us. Charlotte and Evan were whispering about something while I stared.

"You alright?" Charlotte shook my shoulder lightly, getting my attention.

"Yeah, of course. I was just in a stare. Sorry."

"Shh, it's about to start." Evan said excitedly and we both chuckled.

The movie was complete torture for me, not because of the bad acting, blood and guts, or the unrealistic fighting scenes. It was because of what was taking place in front of me, just a few seats away from me.

"This is the best part yet." Evan said in a hushed tone to both of us. I nodded, pretending to look but then I looked again at Cloe and Eric, who had been swapping spit for the millionth time tonight. How could he? Because you aren't together Florence, I answered my own question. I felt like such a fool right now but at least no one else knew about it.

I wanted to just be somewhere else, preferably under my covers or the rock I was talking about earlier, so I didn't have to face the embarrassment that no one else knew about. But it was all happening down on row J, things were getting pretty heated pretty quickly too. I didn't need to watch the end of the film, I was watching my own right here, live too.

Another thought that didn't cross my mind at the beginning was how the hell we were supposed to get out of here without bumping into him and Chloe. My stomach lurched; maybe I could sneak out before it ended.

"I need to go Charlotte. I'm sorry, I feel sick." I whispered to her.

"Do you want me to come with you? We can all go and drop you home if you like?" she replied, looking at Evan who was watching the screen intently.

"Oh no, it's fine. I'll call my Dad to pick me up. He won't mind." I smiled weakly at her before standing up and getting out of the aisle, past Evan and Charlotte.

"I'll see you." She said quietly and waved. I waved back and walked quickly down the stairs, making sure to not look anywhere near Eric. He was too busy anyway, whispering in Chloe's ear, to notice me. Once I got out of the cinema, I let out a sigh of relief. Thank the heaven's I got out of there quickly, I thought. But now I had another problem: it was past eleven at night, I was upset, and I had no one to call except my dad who would know something was up.

My eyes teared up at my realization but I patted them away quickly before tears appeared. I eyeballed my phone, wondering what I should do when I remembered someone I had forgotten about. Hopefully he wasn't busy, if he was I would rather walk home than call my father.

I dialed his number, sniffling. Oh no, now I wascrying.

"Hello." My voice wavered as I wiped my eyes.

"Florence? Are you okay?" he sounded concerned. "What happened?"

"Can you pick me up Jake? I was at the movies with Charlotte and her boyfriend and we seen Eric and he was with someone and I didn't know what to do and we went into the movie and I couldn't watch it and-" I was really crying now.

I knew Jake wouldn't be able to understand what I was saying through my sobbing or would he understand why I was upset or who Eric was but I needed to talk to someone. Him being outside of my circle of friends, and not even attending my high school meant it might be safer to tell him about it rather than anyone else I knew.

"Hold on okay? I'll be there in a few minutes. Where exactly are you?"

"The movies." I cried. "Just in town."

"I'm coming okay. I won't be long." He reassured me before hanging up. Why was I being such a drama queen? I thought. But I couldn't stop myself from crying, I couldn't stop myself from feeling hurt.

Just like he said, Jake pulled up a few minutes later at the entrances of the theater, a sad smile on his face when he seen me. He reached over and opened the passenger door to let me in and I walked over and got in. We drove around for a while; he knew not to bring me home yet. I was still kind of crying and upset. He stopped the car in some parking lot after a few minutes and looked directly at me.

"What to tell me what's going on?" he asked, his eyes showing only kindness.

I nodded.

***********

Please vote/comment/share if you like!

This chapter is also dedicated to perksofpurple, everyone go and check out her stories, they are brilliant:)

A. Summers x