Chapter 1

Nicole pushed her way through the large mob of kids surrounding her.

Not again, she thought.

School was her worst nightmare. Everyone there seemed to hate her. She hated every second she spent there. She constantly told her mom of the horrible things that happened to her there, the rude name calling, the abuse, the humiliation, everything that happened to her.

Her mom tried her best to help her daughter, although there wasn't much she could do. She constantly told her daughter that she was a strong and beautiful 17 year old, but her daughter refused to believe it.

Her mom always wondered where she went wrong. She often cried herself to sleep, knowing she was failing as a mother. Nicole also cried herself to sleep, each harsh word scarring her wrists and thighs.

She didn't understand why people always teased and made fun of her. She had been nice to people for as long as she could remember. But one day, poof. She had no friends anymore, and everyone hated her. It really made no sense to her. She hated the fact she had no friends. She hated the fact everyone hated her. She hated who she was. She hated she was alive.

Of course, nobody knew this. Everyone assumed she was okay, and that was she wasn't breaking into smaller pieces. But she was, and it was getting worse and worse everyday.

But right now, she felt as if she couldn't break anymore. She felt as if she couldn't breathe. She hated it. She heard someone screaming her name, wanting to tease her more, but she couldn't deal with that right that second. She needed to get home, to her mom.

She ran out of her school. Yes, she still had 5 periods left, but she did not care. She needed to get home. The pain was killing her. The hurtful words and slaps to her face all ached.

How could this happen she thought.

You brought this on yourself the other voices said. For a minute, she almost agreed with them.

No I didn't. She fought back.

Yes you did. Why would everyone hate you if it wasn't your fault? It's your fault everyone hates you. Who would've made everyone hate you? Oh, that's right, yourself.

She cried then, she climbed into her car and sped off quickly. She couldn't go home quite yet, her mom couldn't know she ditched the rest of the day. She decided she would go to the library, and browse through the many books there.

The librarians there were very kind to Nicole. She often visited the downtown library after school and during school. They understood her. They accepted her. And that was enough to convince Nicole to always go there.

She walked in and the librarian greeted her with a sad smile and said "hi"

"Hi" Nicole tried to sound happy and suppress a smile, but instead tears rushed out.

"Shh shh it's okay Nicole. Tell me what happened" the librarian comforted. Nicole wished she was her actual mom.

"They-they-they" Nicole tried to talk. "They hit me and kicked me and they" she hesitated before continuing.

"They cut me and burned me" she finished.

The librarians face paled. "Show me" she said.

Nicole reluctantly lifted up her shirt to show a big gash in her stomach, which was bandaged poorly and still bleeding badly.

"Oh my. I'll be right back" the librarian cried also, she felt Nicole's pain.

That poor girl, she thought. She doesn't deserve this.