At first she didn't quite understand why Knox had even interrupted a rebel mission. While he wasn't officially a rebel, Nightshade's entire team was considered one of their own by association. Then apparently Nightshade had prevented Coraline's capture, and now Mars was in the Galactic Army's hands. Dawn had been frustrated at first (why on earth were all her friends fighting?) but now that she had watched the scene outside the observation deck, she finally understood.

They had done it for love. Knox for the love of his fiancé and Nightshade for the love of his friend.

(Allegiances and loyalties came apart for love, and that was a scary thing.)

When Dawn stepped out of the lift, the heavy metal doors opened to a tense atmosphere. Neptune had jumped off his earlier spot, now standing a few feet away with his sword poised to attack. Several rebels had followed his example, but most stayed cautious on top of the branches. Dawn strode forward before the situation could get any more out of hand.

Nightshade and Knox had their backs to her, so the rebels saw her first. With one quelling look, Neptune reluctantly dropped his static word to his side. One by one, the others followed suit, until all weapons were put away and eyes focused on Dawn. She continued to walk forward until Nightshade and Knox saw her, taking both their hands in hers as soon as she got close enough.

"Now Eclipse sends you to get us after this lovely welcoming party?" Nightshade growled.

Dawn soothed the vigilante with a gentle squeeze. She tugged at the two to follow her into the rebellion's main headquarters, and after a slight beat of hesitation, they stopped resisting and walked with her. They entered the lift and continued watching the rebels stand their ground in the forest as the doors closed.

"I don't expect that you'd tell me," Nightshade began as soon as the lift started moving. "But do you even have just the slightest idea what Eclipse is up to?"

Giving the vigilante a sympathetic look, Dawn shook her head sadly.

Nightshade made a disgusted sound, the static burst grating on Dawn's ears. "That fucker put you in danger. He promised me he wouldn't put you on field duty." A gloved hand slammed on the metal walls, causing the metal walls to shake. "He broke a lot of promises in one damn night."

"Calm the fuck down, before you kill us in a lift," Knox warned from Dawn's other side. His tone was level, lacking the usual bite it held.

The lift slowed to a spot then, doors sliding open with a swish. Nightshade was already storming out before Dawn could pull the vigilante to a stop, heading straight towards Eclipse's back. "Hey fucker," Nightshade called.

Eclipse turned around just as a fist collided with the side of his mask, causing him to lose his balance and stumble. The first thing he did was to check that the mask was still in place. Then, he righted himself slowly, moving to stand up straight as he simply stared at a furious Nightshade.

"That's for sending Dawn on a field mission." Nightshade's knee came up, then a leg thrusted forward with a snap, the sole of his feet hitting Eclipse square on the chest. Eclipse staggered, his back hitting the glass wall with a loud thud.

"That is for going to Alpha with the use of my equipment, which you asked no permissions for." The impact made Eclipse fall to his knees, out of breath from the pain blooming on the spots Nightshade had hit him.

The vigilante stood over him, and Eclipse saw his own mask being reflected back at him on the helmet's dark glass.

"Now you physically know the emotional and mental turmoil you put me through."