Saved

Its been over a month since I caught Claire and Owen together. Owen will try to talk to me sometimes but I just don't want to have a conversation with him. I actually met someone at the t-rex exhibit named Shawn who I've been dating for a few weeks. We watch movies together and hang out a lot. I haven't told him that I'm a hybrid yet, though. He thinks my eyes are contacts. The only downside is that he's Vic's brother, and Vic still has no problem hitting on me with Shawn around. He also knows about Owen, and says he doesn't really care if we do anything or not.

"He just sounds like a major asshole. I'm sorry you have to work for him." he told me sympathetically when I explained what had happened. I leaned on him and fell asleep.

Now, here I am with Echo once again. Owen hasn't yelled at me for working with them in a while. Barry scolded me 2 weeks ago for giving Owen such a hard time at work. "He's trying to look out for you". Owen was gone at lunch but Mark, another handler, stayed with me to help me with Echo.

"She's being stubborn as always." I laughed from inside the paddock. Echo hissed at me and I hissed back. Owen had suggested that I try to be dominant over her, but it seemed to piss her off more. I growled and tried to get her to go off with her sisters to a different part of the paddock, but she refused.

"Are you sure you don't want me to help you with her?" Mark offered.

"I'm sure. We've gotta work this out one way or another." I responded. Echo snapped at me and took a nip out of my arm. It was light, and didn't hurt that much. She started circling me, whipping at my feet with her tail.

"Knock it off, Echo!" I commanded and growled. Before I could move back, Echo lunged at my leg, grabbing it and shaking it. I kicked at her, feeling her teeth sink into my skin as I tried to get her off. She let go and swiped at my side, leaving claw marks that were bleeding like crazy.

"Dana, hold on!" I heard Mark yell and I heard the cage door opening.

"Don't open it! She'll go after you! Call Owen!" I screamed and kicked at Echo. I managed to get to my feet, ignoring the pain in my leg, and move toward the gate. At least if he can distract her I can crawl out. Echo tried to bite at my throat, and I knew she was tired of seeing me as a threat. If she was just trying to rough me up, she would've stopped by now.

I pushed on her head and she ended up sinking her teeth back into my leg. I screamed in pain as she pulled me and threw me against the bars. My vision started fading. I'm going to black out. I looked at my hands and noticed they were covered in blood.

"Echo! Hey!" Mark yelled from the catwalk. He had Owen's clicker and managed to get her attention. Someone opened the door behind me just enough to get me out before I lost consciousness.

~Owen

Dana hasn't been as difficult these last few days as she was last month. Echo is still giving her as much hell as she can, though. I tried talking to her, but she doesn't want to hear it.

I looked down at my phone and saw that I had a call from Mark. He was supposed to be helping Dana with Echo. I answered it and got a hysteric handler on the phone.

"Owen, I'm so so so sorry, it was an accident, she wouldn't, I tried to, I really did, I'm sorry, I can't, what would I have, I tried." he stuttered over the phone. I got up and walked out of the restaurant I was eating at with Barry to hear Mark more.

"Calm down, Mark. What happened?" I asked. He took a breath and I waited for him to talk.

"Echo attacked Dana. She's hurt really bad." he spit out. I almost dropped my phone. Dana's hurt? Echo hurt her? "Owen..?"