Her penetrating eyes were shooting daggers at me, and I couldn’t take it anymore, I tore mine away from hers and eased myself by staring at the wall behind her. I’m such a wimp.

          “You f-ing asshole,” she calmly stated, and I could feel her gaze boring right through me, “if anything bad happens to her, it’ll be your fault. And I don’t care if it’s her illness that takes the best of her, it’s still your fault for you have not done what you’re supposed to do as her boyfriend, and have yet to carry out what you promised her mother you would.”

          I reconnected our eyes.

          “And before I actually leave you with…” She eyed Kelsey before rolling her eyes. “Cody, I’m really disappointed in you. I thought you knew better, but, clearly, you proved me wrong. And there’s proof tooMerinda.”

          My eyelids fluttered open, and Alli’s words traveled from one side of my mind to the other as I tried calming down by drawing in deep breaths. I remembered the moment I rung up Diane, when I’d just found out about Merinda’s health condition.

“Um, Diane?”

          “Cody?” Merinda’s Mom was evidently taken by surprise by my sudden phone call to her. “Is everything fine over there?”

          “Yes,” I smoothly responded immediately, leaving no time for hesitation. “Everything is going well. But I just have a question, I would like for your approval.”

          “What would that be?”

          “I just found out that Merinda’s suffering from kidney cancer… and I’m thinking of bringing chemotherapy to her, instead of her going for it. I can’t stand the thought of her having to go through all of the pain that could be cured after a period of time.”

          “Wait, what do you mean ‘you just found out’? Didn’t she tell you before that?” Diane was confused, and somehow, it seemed just like that she had managed to send me some confusion. What was she talking about?

          “Um, no… I’d unintentionally overheard the both of you talking over the phone, and I’d like to do something about it.”

          “Cody, do you know what Merinda has in mind of her illness? She wishes to live life to the fullest before she knows she has no more time left, and if that’s her only wish before death, then I will not stop her. I believe she’s old enough to make certain decisions herself.”

          “But don’t you want her to live longer? Stay by your side?” I struggled to retort, trying to win this argument. I had to have her agree, regardless of anything. “Don’t you want to have a healthy daughter? Diane, we still have time to cure her sickness.”

          “Of course I want my daughter to be healthy, to live longer and stay by me! But that’s also not the thing, Cody. We do not have enough money to settle it, and things would be a struggle if we really want to do it.”

          “Money isn’t a problem, I’ll settle it. And if you would just say yes, I’ll ring up my doctor and start telling him about what he’s going to do. He would be coming with us on tour to care for Merinda’s health and to give her proper treatment.”

          “May I know who the doctor is?”

          “His surname is Anderson. That’s all I know, really. He’s been my family doctor ever since I was born.”