Chapter Forty-Five

Start from the beginning

"I'm really flattered," I grin. "But you couldn't possibly say anything more cheesy."

"Really? Is that a challenge?" Owen asks, quirking his eyebrows.

"Could be," I shrug.

"Your eyes, they sparkle like the moon on a starless night," Owen says dramatically. "Your smile is brighter than any ray of sunshine. My life would be useless without you in it. I don't want the world, I just want you half-"

"That's enough, I can't even listen to this anymore," I shake my head. "I think my ears are bleeding."

"You don't appreciate my compliments?"

"Would you two shut up already? I'm trying to watch a movie," Phill says, looking annoyed as ever.

With that, I give Owen one last kiss before turning to watch the movie.

<•>•<•>

"Owen, I just got a call from dad. He's in town and his car won't stop. We've got to go jump start it."

"I can't leave, can't you do it yourself?"

"No. I don't know where the place is. Some old warehouse? And you know I don't drive well in the dark."

"I can't leave Brinley here, she's asleep."

"You can go with Ian, Owen. I'll take care of her. I know more about your.. situation... than you think."

"Alright... Thank you, Clarin."

"Of course."

"Let'a go, Owen."

My eyes fly open at the sound of a door shutting. I take in a deep breath, looking around in confusion. I'm still on the same couch I was watching the movie on, but my head is no longer on Owen's lap. In fact, Owen is nowhere to be found. And a new movie is now playing.

"Oh, sleeping beauty's awake," Parker grins at me.

I sit up, trying to find the other twin brother. They're both gone. Clarin seems to sense my confusion.

"Owen and Ian had to go jump start their dad's car," she says.

"Oh," I nod. "What movie is this?"

"The Matrix," Drake replies before Clarin can. "Only the best movie ever created."

"I disagree," Parker says. "The best movie ever created is Inception."

"No, if anything, it's Star Wars," Ben throws his hands in the air. "What are you guys, crazy?"

"I personally enjoy The Notebook," Clarin interjects.

"Typical," Drake rolls his eyes dramatically.

"I like that movie," Parker shrugs.

"Of course you do," Drake says.

"I like Harry Potter," I say. "That's pretty much the only movie I really have watched since I can remember."

"You've only watched Harry Potter that you can remember? That's so crazy!" Parker exclaims. "You... You've lived under a rock your whole life or something?"

"No," I almost laugh at his shocked expression. "Ian didn't tell you?"

He shakes his head, eyes wide in curiosity.

"She lost her memory like a month and a half ago, dude," Phill says.

How he knows that and the other guys don't, I don't know. And to be honest, that freaks me out a bit. Could he...?

"Oh yeah!" Parker exclaims. "I remember Ian talking about that! Sorry, Brinley. I have trouble remembering stuff."

"That's okay," I grin at him. "I do too."

Drake snorts and holds out a hand that I high five.

"Jake, you're being awfully quiet, what's your favorite movie?" Parker asks.

Jake shrugs, still looking at me instead of anyone else. He has been all night. Creeps me out. "Probably King Kong."

"Lame," Drake makes a face.

"Oh, and The Matrix is better?" Jake looks like he's going to laugh.

"Yes. Yes it is," Drake nods.

There's a knock at the door and all heads whip towards it. And then everyone looks around at each other, trying to silently select a poor soul to stand and get it.

"Drake, go get the door," Parker says.

"No, you go get the door," Drake frowns.

"No."

It's silent for a moment, everyone looking at each other. Whoever's at the door knocks again.

"Fine, I'll get the door, you all suck," Parker says, standing up and walking over to it. He yanks it open. "Oh, hey, come on in. Clarin, you might want to come here!"

Parker walks back into the room, followed by a tall, blonde Brit. "Hello," Lucas smiles at us all.

Clarin stands up and hurries over to greet him. She lifts up on her tip-toes to plant a kiss on his lips. "Hey."

"There's the pretty blonde I was looking for," Lucas smiles at her.

"Want to watch this movie with us?" Clarin asks, gesturing to the now paused TV screen.

"I'd love to," Lucas replies and follows her to the couch, now leaving Parker with no place to sit.

"Looks like I'll be sitting by the other pretty blonde," Parker smiles at me before falling down on the place where Owen was sitting last. "You can put your head in my lap, I don't mind."

"That's okay," I smile at him. Mostly I don't want Owen to walk in and find me in that position.

"Nice football playing earlier," Parker says.

"Thanks, I try," I reply.

"Your sarcasm is lovely," Parker says. "And so is your face, for that matter."

My eyes widen and my mouth falls open. Oh, gosh.

"Don't look at me like that," Parker laughs. "I'm just messing with you."

I release a breath. "Right."

"But I'm not opposed to you leaning on my shoulder a little," he offers with a wide grin.

"Dude, what part of the polite 'NO' don't you understand?" Phill yells across the room. "Give up, and shut up."

Nobody talks much after that, but I find myself thinking that maybe Parker isn't that bad. I don't think he's trying to kill me. Hopefully. I'd like to think not, because I want him to be my friend.